Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slimngrizzly

Chevy Tow/Haul button?!?!?!

9 posts in this topic

Ive got a 1999 Chevey 1500. I used to use the tow/haul button when pulling the boat, then about 6 months ago it just quit working. No biggie, I just pull the boat in 3 now. Well a couple days ago, the little light came back on after 6 months! But the button still doesnt work. So as im going down the road the truck kicks in and out of "tow/haul" mode as it pleases!! I have no control over it, and it revs the engine differently!

Anyone have any idea how to disconnect this? Is there a fuse I can pull? It cant be good for it to rev up and drop into "tow" at 60 mph for no reason. Darn thing!

Thanks for any pointers!

I'm sure it is fused, check your fusebox and your owners manual for what each fuse is for. Chevy seems to be pretty good about labeling what each fuse in the system is for.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

happened to my 2000 Silverado. The wires run down the shifter, and when they enter the steering column they can rub and if they rub just right they will fray and eventually break off. I guess this was a common problem with some models of fords as well. or so my repair man told me.

crothmeier has the answer to what probably happened. It was a common issue. I'd check that first.

I would think it is the wires in the shifter stalk. This is a fairly common concern on Fords and Chevy's.

My 2000 has not worked for a couple of years now. Anyone know approx. cost of repairing the broken wires?

when i looked into it 2 years ago the new gear selector that included the button and wire harness was around $85 part only. I wouldnt think they would be too hard to switch out, but then again i've never done one.

The Fords are about $65 for the shift lever. The Ford and GM trucks that I have done are pretty easy to make this swap. The hardest part IMO is getting the shroud back on behind the steering wheel. Swapping the assembely is pretty simple.