• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait barrels--How to use them?

I just aquired 160 acres to bear hunt so I am enlarging my area an I understand that barrels are now legal or soon to be legal, I will find out 4 sure on that, but was wondering what is the best way to use them? I know enough to chain it to a tree, how big of a hole for a paw an how far up from the bottom, do barrels help in keeping critters out? any tricks or advise would be great, I have already got several hundres pounds of pasteries, an more coming so my intention is to fill the barrel enough for three days to limit travel cause my alternate site is 30 miles round trip from my first site. Oh yea, is 160 acres big enough to put out two site or will I get the same bear possibly, I'd think yes. Later Boar

Use a 4-1/2" hole saw for the holes,the smaller the bait in the barrel the longer a bear has to stick around if it intends to fill up on it, it will keep the critters or coons from cleaning up all your bait the first night,put the holes towards the top that way the critters can't get to it and a bear will just tip it over so when you chain it to a tree leave enough slack so the barrel can be tipped, I try to keep my baits about 1 mile or more apart the farther the better most big boars will make a 3 day circle so when he hits your bait it will normally take 3 days till he comes back. A sow with cubs will hit your bait every night and just make a mess out of your bait station this is when it it nice for the trail cam you allways no what and when it was at the bait.

I am not sure about the hole sizes for pastries or how you will be able to keep critters out of it if a bear can get the bait out. I use a grain mixture (similar to sweet feed). I make an access door on the top of the drum that can be sealed. Then I cut about 8-10 holes 3/4" in diamater, just large enough that if the barrel is shook or rolled the bait can out. I cable my barrels to a tree with about 8 - 10 foot of cable, then the bears can roll the drums to get the feed out and present alot of different shot opportunities and angles. The drums hold abot 250# of bait and usually last 3-5 days on a good site. If you want any more info about them, shoot me an email and I can try to help out more or email a picture.

hey superbee, hoped youd chime in being you guide with use of barrels, my e-mail is [email protected] I guesse ya cant have it critter free, I just try cause of all the time an effort an money an I put in, coons kept cleaning me last year till a bear showed up, any way any ideas are great, later boar

boar - I have a spare barrel made up and I will take a couple of pics and email them to you. It's raining here, so I will pull it out the next nice day and get them to you. Are you planning on baiting exclusively with pastries? I used to use lots of pastries and had tried a few different set ups for the barrels, they all worked, but I have real good luck with the grain and it is the easiest and efficient set up I have come across. I'll get those pics to you shortly.

Thanks superbee, you can just as well share the pics here, no need to be private about a bait barrel here, but your sweet feed recipie... hee hee. Yea I am primarialy using pasteries soaked in grease an other things as well. yhans again. Boar

This has passed both the house and senate as of 5/13

So, we'll wait and see if it gets the Gov signature if it goes into effect this year or next...

Sec. 36. [97B.4251] BAITING BEAR; USE OF DRUM.

Notwithstanding section 97B.425, a private landowner or person authorized by the private landowner may use a drum to bait bear on the person's private land. The drum must be securely chained or cabled to a tree so that it cannot be moved from the site by a bear and the drum may not include a mechanical device for dispensing feed. The drum must be marked with the name and address of the person who registered the bait site. For purposes of this section, "drum" means a 30 gallon or larger drum.

Sorry for the delay in the pics. This barrel I used a triagle cut out and it works very good. I found it to be easier and quicker using my air chisel rather than a hole saw. The access door I cut one end and welded a heavy door hinge on and then cut the rest of it out. Any questions, let me know.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Boar, sorry to burst your barrel....but...HF1132 is on it's way to the governor....with these changes...

The House language to allow anglers to use two lines when fishing was removed from the bill, as was a provision for baiting bears on private land.

So, that mean's no barrels for now....better sharpen up that chain saw!!