• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hiking and Hill Climbing?

Did not see a Hiking section so I thought I'd post this hear.

Am getting prepared for a Elk Hunt in Colorado this fall and want to do some hill climbing to strengthen my leg muscles and get my bad Achilles tendons whipped into shape.

Wondering if anyone can suggest any good hills to climb in the North Metro Suburbs? I'm in Brooklyn Park, MN so something close by.

Currently I hike the trails in French Regional Park and climb the sledding hill, and also hike at the Elm Creek Park reserve and will ne climbing the Ski Hill there. Just wondering if there may be some longer, and steeper hills to climb in the area?

Good thinking to get started on that early. I to prepare for elk camp in CO every year, but I don't look for hills so as much as I try to work with weight and endurance. I run and bike (in some combination) 5 days a week. As it gets closer (5-6 weeks out) I will start adding weight to a backpack every time I exercise. My main goal is to get my heart rate up and retrain my breathing. I've found this is the best way (IMO) for me to get my body ready for a week of elk hunting.

As for hills, there's the ski jump in Bloomington (Bush Lake Rd) but that is all that I know about. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. Running/jogging is not an option unfortunately as it wreaks havoc with my bad Achilles tendons. They are barking today after yesterdays walk and it wasn't very strenuous. Been avoidng me stretched and strengthening exercises as of late and I'm paying for it..

I try to hike 4-8 miles a day, pack will go on the back as soon as the ankle starts feeling better again.

I had thought of the Ski Hill in Bloomington, but it is a bit of a treck from the north end.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Running/jogging is not an option unfortunately as it wreaks havoc with my bad Achilles tendons

How does biking affect your Achilles? I hate running like nothing else, but it does get me in good shape grin Sounds like you've got a good program going now, wish I knew more about the north side to help you out.

Biking does not seem to affect it, in fact if it is really to sore to hike on I go for a bike ride. I don't think I burn as many calories (I'm trying to drop 40 pounds before fall as well) as when I hike in the woods though, and I prefer to hike anyway.

Been battling this Achilles thing for over a year, my own fault for getting away from what the Physical Therapist told me I needed to do. Going to start that program again too.

Actually the Achilles got stretched out pretty good climbing bluffs in the Whitewater. Felt good for two days, then started tightening up last night.

I know it's my Calf muscles getting too tight as I can feel them tie up in a knot and then the Achilles start aching.

Well, just more exercise to add to the table I guess. Someday I'll get this thing whipped!!!

Thanks for all the input.