Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catmendo

Need an ID?

15 posts in this topic

I can't seem to find this guy in the book I have in front of me. Any help in identifying him would be much appreciated.

IMG_6472-1.png

I believe it is a Ring Necked Duck

That it is!! What a beauty of a shot!! I love the perfect reflection on the water.

Great reflection! Is this the original or cropped?

Thank you and yes, it was definitely cropped!

wow it's a beauty shot!!! I would have guessed a "golden eye" but then again, I suck at ID of birds,, still learning

A very nice drake ringneck. Around here was also call them ringbills or ringers. Guys in the southern U.S. call the "jacks" or "blackjacks". They make up a majority of the duck hunters bag here in MN.

The common goldeneye is bigger than a ringneck. The drake goldeneye has a black head with a white dot between it's eye and base of the bill. It's body is mainly white with black wings sitting on top of it's back and a black bill. Drakes look like a milk jug sitting on the water. The hen common goldeneye has a chocolate brown head w/ a black bill with some yellow or orange to it. It's body is a molted gray/white color.

Brian

Stu, I would have to say that is the most beautiful shot of a drake ringneck I have ever seen. Way to go!!!

Stu, that is gorgeous. Excellent work!

Oh, as for the ID, it's a ring-necked duck. gringringrin

i always love peaking in the thread to see the amazing pics you guys take another great one