• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Posting land

Scoot

My dad told a buddy that I'd take care of getting his land posted this year so he can take his grandson out and hunt without being interupted. Besides being sure that the no hunting signs are signed by the landowner and dated, what do I need to know to be sure that the land is posted correctly?

I would make sure you have plenty of signs out and they are visable everywhere. We posted a ton of signs last year some jerk-baits tore a few down, then if you catch people out there they cant be like i didnt see them if you have plenty

No doubt mrklean, for me it's about the safety of my nephews and such because I have many property line hunters that do shoot into my land especially on evening deer hunts figuring once dark, then we'll go recover the deer, when confronted it's the well we shot it, it jumped your fence and we were just recovering it, yea right.

I would put the signs up with a ladder, like 10' off the ground. That way people can't just go up to them ripe them down. Make sure no branches are in the way too, if they are in the woods.

I know you have to have signs at the corners or property line and at all access points. Other than that I would put up as many as you can because like some others pointed out, people seem to like to tear them down.

The more rigid yellow plastic signs seem to only last a year in the sun and cold. I picked up a few metal ones for the in laws and they seem to be the best. For the money, the yellow signs that come in the roll hold up decent as long as you put some tape on them keep the fasteners from pulling out. They work well to wrap on trees and if they get destroyed you're not out much.

Yes, definitely check the regulations on this. I believe if you post "no hunting" signs on your own property, then not even you can hunt there. "no trespassing" signs is what you really need. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is NOT illegal to hunt your own property even if its posted no hunting.

Scoot, since you're in ND I would check your state regs about posting. MN has laws about posting woods vs ag land as well as the distances needed on signs in woods vs the open.

More signs is always better, but remember if you put up more than required, than each sign has to comply with the regs even if its more than necessary....meaning if you decide to add an extra sign in between the required ones, it still needs all the info on it.

I know a guy who added extra signs but didn't want to take the time to write his info on those and it became an issue for him when someone trespassed and said the signs weren't legal. A technicality yes, but it gets losers like that out of trouble.