• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

60 hp Evenrude carbs still spewing gas.

Paul

I did a carb kit on my Johnson style carbs and things ran smooth in driveway but when I got it on lake a different story. It keeps flooding, gas runs out of the front non stop. I am going to disassemble again tonight and check the float to see if it floats, any of you mechanical gurus out there have any other suggestions for things to look at?

FWIW, I did carb job (see my other long post, with tons of good advice from the pros) and I had the float in upside down... doh! But my problem was just the opposite of yours. You do have to adjust to float, I learned smile

Good luck, it is frustrating, isn't it?... But nice when it is running again.

after tearing down the carbs for a 5th time, I think I have a few ideas. I found a hairline crack in a fuel return line. hmm, buy some more fuel line and see if that takes care of it. After that I am thinking about bad fuel pump.

If the gas is coming out the throat of the carb its either an improper float adjustment where the fuel level in the carb is too high or the float adjustment is correct but the needle and seat(inlet valve)is not stopping the gas flow into the carb.

Paul, a few questions to help narrow things down. Is this a 3 cylinder, 3 carb? Is it happening to all 3 carbs or just 1? How did it run before you rebuilt?

A few things that can cause gas to run out the front:

Improper float level

Defective float

Defective needle and seat

A plugged float bowl vent will also cause gas to free flow through the main jet.