• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alarm system for a rod and reel???

Scoot

Question

What sneaky systems do people use for warning them if they have a bite on a rod that they're not sitting right next to? Obviously, rattle reels and tip-ups are ways of getting a warning, but what do people use with a plain old rod and reel.
I use a five gallon bucket to set my rod across. I have a slip bobber rig. I open the bail of the reel (don't want to lose my rod), then I put a very tiny bobber near the rod-tip and keep the line as tight as I can get it with the bail open. This way, if the bobber goes under, it pulls line out and pulls the tiny botter from the rod-tip. I can see it from about 20 yards.
I don't like this system because I need to manually remove the tiny bobber before I can reel in the line. Also, it's hard to see the bobber from more than 20 yards.
Any brilliant suggestions that don't involve rattle reels or tip-ups?
Scoot

13 answers to this question

Okay-okay-this is brilliant! Ya take a pager and a cell phone. Call the pager - put the rod tip against the re-dial button, and when a fish hits, you'll get a page, and you can be in Nebraska, and you'll know when a fish hits here in MN!
Naaahhh. The phone might get wet.
I don't know. Audible alarms wouldn't be reliable if the wind is in your ears, and sounds like you have a visual system already. I don't really have an idea, I just couldn't help throwing out that stupid cell phone joke.

Cell phones and pagers, grenades, big toes- man, you guys are really helpful!!! I guess, as the old saying goes- ask a stupid question...
I like the last suggestion. I've used bobber stops before, but I can't see them from very far away. Leaving the tags on them and clipping on something is a good idea.
I figured someone would mention unattended lines, but I'm not talking about being a half-mile from the rod- just not right on top of it. Not to worry about litter from me either, I'm very tidy when I leave the ice or lake. If ever you want to make me really mad, leave a mess on the lake.
Scoot
P.S. Anyone know of a military outlet store nearby that sells grenades?

Mount a tip up flag to your rod or better yet make a rod holder that holds your rod that you can attatch the line from your rod and when the fish srikes your bait, the line pulls out and trips the flag and all you have to do is lift the rod from the rod holder and reel in the fish without any interference of line markers or anything else!! Just a thought!!! wink.gif

------------------
F-STOP

I actually have a pager that signals when you get a bite. My wife bought it at Fleet Farm a few years ago. I use this on tip-ups at night.

Try putting your rod in snow so as to keep the rod at about a 45 degangle. Fish bites and the pole falls towrds the ice. You can see this for 30+ yds.

Ok Scoot, serious now.

Did I show you that styrofoam strike indicator trick?

You can take a 3/4" by 3/4" by ? chunk and make a thin slit on the side. Slip that on the line and you can see it well day or night.

With a spinning rod setup you add a O-ring on the for grip of the rod and slip the line under the ring just so it stays put but a pull will let it feed out freely. This prevents any loss of rig if a big fish go's for broke on you.

A simple rig that works all season long, on the shore or on the ice.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Put a bobber stop on your line that will end up by your rod tip and leave ends a little longer then use something like a paper clip to clip a flag or colored paper to it so when you reel it up it knocks off the paper clip. Dont get pinched for unatended line or littering.I have never tried this so let me know if it works.The gernade thing sounds cool but could be tough on equiptment

I use one of TBones Rock 'N Reel's. The entire rod tips down when the fish is on, and if your drag is set up right, the fish is free to run, and you won't loose your rod down the hole.

doubleUcubed,I have been using "set up" you are talking about for twenty years now, while fishing after eyes from shore.Their range is about half-mile and you can have up to four sensors (transmitter) for one reciver,you won't loose your rods if you use reels with "freerunner" funktion.
I am afraid their cost will kill you as four transmitters and reciver stay at around 1000 $ plus shipping from U.K