Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doop

lake trout

18 posts in this topic

what's the best way to cook up lake trout...I'll also post this in the recipe section...but I thought there might be some experts on here too!

I don't know if it's the best way but what we always to is place the gutted fish on tinfoil and place chopped onions, dillweed, lemon juice, salt, and butter in the cavity and around the outside of the fish. Then we wrap the whole thing up and put it on the barbecue or in the oven until the flesh just flakes and then eat it hot! With native lake trout the meat in firm, juicy, and delicious! Hope this helps!

~Dave

Dave's way is very good. You can also do the same in a pan without the foil. Just about the same result either way. Very good eats.

The foil method works great camping winter or summer and easy to pack. Works for walleyes and smallies too. Favorite for lakers is to smoke the filets at home. Soak overnight in salt water, rinse cover well with brown sugar and lay in smoker a few hours. Tough to screw up and absolutely fantistic - freezes well after smoking too.

Had a friend who has since passed on who used to can them for us. Water, a little salt and some tomato paste and run it through the canning process. Melt in your mouth!!!! (bones dissolve too)

I smoke anything over 6 lbs, foil method 3-6 lb'ers, and shorelunch anything smaller.

Steve

I will place a second vote for the smoking method that leaddog explained. Man, they are delicious that way.

Blackened Lake Trout

Filets or steak cuts with skin on.

In a resealable container combine:

1 cup mayo

1 tbsp lemon juice

chopped green onions

hot peppers (to 4 times taste - really most heat will burn off)

black pepper

This mixture will stick to the fish and seal in moisture while it cooks over charcoal or fire. The mayo will nicely blacken under covered under medium heat. Watch for flashing. Cook until fish looks slightly more than done, 10-15 minutes.

Easy way for bone removal is to pull out the backbone before removing the skin.

This should impress even the non-fish eater!

ahhh lakis troutis,, here's what we do,, whether at the lake or at home we filet them, and cut them into about 3 or 4 pieces,, nice size for cooking, then bread them with corn flake crumbs or most recently with instant mashed potatoes (with seasoning) and fry them in oil,, oh my!! they are sure good!!!!

Why not a good ol fish boil?

Boil about a cup of kosher salt in a kettle of water, add trout chunks. Notice the chunks sink to the bottom of the pot. After about 4-5 minutes, they'll turn white and will float up, one by one. Scoop 'em out, dip in melted butter. MMMMMmmmmm.

The boil is excellent, add a little garlic salt to the butter for the extra zip. This is my favorite method of cooking trout. All the guests I do this for or tell how, absolutely love it.

geez, after reading these posts made me hungry for trout i can't handle it i got to go................boil trout with garlic butter is my fav to

I think I might have to go trout fishing teh next nice day we have and get a meal.

oven baked lake trout,

fillet trout boneless cut into 3to4 inch chunks

2 cups of bread crumbs

1 pkg of dry onion soup (crushed)

1 tsp paprika

1/4tsp pepper

2 tbls parmasan cheese

dash of garlic powder

1 tbls parsley

mix together in a bowl (dip each piece in sour cream first,yes sour cream,then the premix next.

preheat oven to 500 cook time 12 to 17 minutes

melted butter or fresh lemon slices to taste

enjoy

terminal tackle (aka Tim)

I like it grilled right over the coals, put some olive oil on it and then some kind of seasoning, cajun, lemon-pepper, whichever you prefer. Grill it until it flakes and your done, no need for tinfoil.