• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

permit to carry/conceal and carry

several questions about this, i think this is the most relevant forum to post about it. first of all, are these the same thing. also, i tried reading the laws about this but cant make heads nor tails of it. it says i have to take an approved firearms training class to be able to do the permit to carry. i took firearm saftey to hunt last fall does this count? what else do i need to know?? help!

In Minnesota you must take a CC Training Course which is essentially a six hour instructional course touching on laws and regulations, handgun engagement techniques, and so on so forth. This is followed by a field excursion to a range or course designed to replicate certain scenarios to help finly tune your handgun marksmanship. The class is usually $100 and like I said runs about 6 hours for the classroom session, paired with the range shooting, plan on giving up a day. After these steps are taken, you can purchase the permit, which is another $100

Oh and I believe Jeff's profile picture was just a random picture we found on google images lol ... very cool picture though when viewed full size, it's a real life photo, not just a video game screenshot

I thought it was only good for three years. I also thought that once you have it, you didn't have to retake the training course when you renew but I've been hearing lately that I may not be correct. Do you have to retake the training course in order to renew your permit?

Yep, good for 5 years and you must take a refresher to renew.

Just to set the record straight...Minnesota is not a "Concealed Carry" state. In Minnesota we have "Permit to Carry", meaning it does not legally need to be concealed. However, your going to be hassled and get some strange looks if you don't conceal.

The course I took was too easy I thought. It was a good class, but the range time was lame! You shot 10 rounds into a target and as long as they were close to center mass you were good to go. It is good to have.

The course I took you were 7 yards away - and they did not even look at where your rounds hit. Some guy brought a .357 that he never shot before - dropped it on the ground - he passed. Another got his finger caught in the slide (40cal) and had to have another person get it out - he passed.

BAD GUYS BE CAREFUL. There are some law abiding folks out there that have taken a course and passed. They are legal and out there. I saw a video where a police officer and a punk exchanged a bunch of shots from a distance of 5 ft. Nobody was hit. The officer got to go home to his family that night. He had extensive training--I still think he passed.

When I took the course, there was a younger guy with a brand new never been fired Glock .40 cal. At the range he asked the course instructor how to fire it. The instructor failed him right then.

We have the "Minnesota Personal Protection Act" which allows a law abiding resident the priviledge of carrying a loaded uncased pistol either concealed or in the open(not reccommended unless afield).

You must take and pass a approved training course - provide your certificate and drivers license to the Sheriffs office for a state and federal background check - cost is $100 - good for 5 years. To renew you need to take a refresher course 90 days prior to your expiration date - provide the Sheriff with the cert. and your drivers license - cost to renew is $75.

Minnesota is now a "shall" issue state which means you can't be turned down as long as you meet the requirements. A legal permit to carry also includes the right to purchase a pistol in Minnesota without a waiting period.

A convicted felon can not get a permit(unless approved after a period of time-which is very rare) and if you are charged with a felony you must give up your permit until proven innocent.

Restrictions on where you can't carry include public schools, state and federal buildings, courthouses, or offices, or into buildings/businesses which have posted signs banning guns.

With a permit you can legally carry a pistol on your person, in your car, on your ATV, and in your boat loaded and uncased.

Practice makes perfect - it is suggested that you practice shooting and create a defensive mindset.

Most cases of use of a permitted pistol in self defense are upheld if it is proven you are in imminent danger of your life(including family or in the protection of others in danger)

The old "shootem" and drag in the house doesn't work.

There are very few cases of misuse anywhere in the US by permit holders, but all states with carry laws have seen reductions in crimes.

The law as written is somewhat confusing and everyone reads parts of it different - so these are my reflections from training.

When I took the course, there was a younger guy with a brand new never been fired Glock .40 cal. At the range he asked the course instructor how to fire it. The instructor failed him right then.

Good. If you haven't put any effort into the class the instructor shouldn't have to put much effort into passing you either.

I am in favor of the permits but don't have one yet. Someday.

DD

Some of the guys made me nervous when taking my test. They had not a clue how thier gun worked or how to handle it safely. The least a person could do was to read the owners manual for the gun! Open carry is slowly becoming more acepted up here and I find myself and others carrying open more and more. If I have the right to carry open I don't feel I should be harassed by anybody for it.

para1911, i agree with you on carrying in the open,you shouldnt be or feel harassed. However i do feel its probably prudent to conceal it. there are just to many people out there who seem to be offended and they are the ones that will do there best to get the laws changed. just my $.02

I'm not sure they feel offended but I would guess they feel a bit nervous. I've been around firearms all my life. I own and use firearms. I hunt and target shoot. If I encountered someone in a mall with a pistol on his belt, I might feel a little apprehension about their intentions but not offended.

After 9/11 when our military was called to assist with airport security it wasn't a very comfortable feeling to see them walking around the airport with their rifles in hand even though I knew they were there for my protection. Having someone walking around a mall or city street with a firearm would even less comforting because they don't have my best interests in mind.

You're right though that they are the ones that would try to change the law so they can feel a little more at ease as they should.

I still conceal in a mall, park or other crowded places. I guess I feel there is a time and place to conceal it and a time where I'm ok with it being in the open. Most people up here grew up with guns in the family in one way or another so the sight of a gun might not have the same reaction as it would in different aeras of the state.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy. When it comes down to it the only person who ultimatly has my best interests in mind is myself.

If only people knew how many criminals have illegaly carried guns on them they might like us having ours a little more.

you should conceal in public areas with women children and others who would be uncomfortable, its a courtesy thing, i wouldnt do it; theres no need. why not conceal, it doesnt hurt you and it makes everyone else happier. if you ask me, anyone with their weapon out on display in a public area such as a mall or other crowded area is just doing to show off or feel macho.

As said before...there's a time where concealing is good practice. Depends on place and people around. If I were heading to the cities aera I'd more than likely hide my guns because of where I am. Back up around my neck of the woods I feel it's not quite as offinsive. I can go do my stuff in town talk to half the people I see (very few compared to bigger cities) and the only comment about my gun I usually get is if they can check it out. The belief that everybody in a small town knows everybody and everything about them isn't all truth but it holds some. I took a trip to a small town out west in the Rockies recently. I stood out from the group because I was the only one who didn't have a gun hanging off of my belt. Most folks up here grew up with guns in the family due to hunting and other stuff (women and children included). Where you are makes a BIG difference.

If I worked in an air conditioned office when it's 90 deg outside I wouldnt have a problem covering it up but that's not the case, I don't work in an office. More people are open carrying up here but most still know when it's best to hide it. If I offend the occasional person when they catch a glimpse of my gun while being prepared to defend myself and my family I'm still able to sleep very well at night.

Thanks guys for reassuring me that someone carrying a gun is not very accepted around the twin cities aera. Next time I'm down there I'll be bringing the IWB holster along or a jacket if the weather permits.

Quick question:

I recently inherited a .22 Ruger pistol from my Dad. Do I need any special permit to possess this gun, being it's a hand gun? What about if I bring it with me camping, fishing, hunting?

The way I see it, as long as it's cased and unloaded, I'm good to go... it's just like any other gun. What about if the clip is full but not in the gun?

Thanks!