• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas MPG's while towing

I have a dodge durrango with the 4.7L. While pulling my lund explorer 1700 I am lucky to get 9-10 mpg's. My F-150 that I had before this dodge seemed to get way better mileage. What are others getting puling their boat? At this mileage I am strongly leaning diesel on my next vehicle. Because at 9-10 mpgs I could justify it.

2001 Chevy Silverado 5.3L I get 16-17.5 mpg normal and 15-16 towing the boat.

That is all I get pulling my 1850 reata loaded. I have and 03 duramax. You could buy a lot of gas with how much more you spend for the diesel. If any of the manufactures made a crew cab long box in a half ton version, hint, hint, I would be on it. I wish I had the 5.3 liter chevy, or the 4.6 liter ford.

My 2004 1500 dodge with 5.7 hemi got about 12 mpg pulling our 1775 pro v. We where pushing wind almost all the way up on Friday evening. A little better on the way home.

02 Dakota 4x4 with 4.7 V8 got me about 14.5 towing our 16' Rebel XL on Friday. 17 on return trip without boat.

Just wanted to add that all of the planned half ton diesel pickups have been cancelled (Dodge, GM, Ford, and Toyota). Too bad, this could actually spur some new pickup sales, me for example. I'm sure it is expensive and a little risky to offer this option though.

Are you guys with the low mpg's maybe drving really fast? Not saying you shouldn't but I know on my 98 chev k1500 with 350 that gas sucking sound gets louder as my foot gets heavier wink

I drive about 65 while towing, and get 11.5 (w/AC) to 12.5 (w/out AC) mpg when towing, and 16.5-17.5 when not, depending upon how nice I drive. This is with 3.73 gears.

My brother has a 07 silverado with 5.3 and that gets 16.5 mpg towing the boat (18' w/150) and I was amazed it was that good.

I do sort of drive like the Grandpa I am, ha! My wife always tells me to speed up, I say, are you in that big a hurry?!?! Ha! Not like the old days with cruise on at 85... smile

I get 12, give or take, towing my Sylvan Pro Select 16 wtih a '94 K-1500 Ext. Cab w/5.7L engine.

Generally don't drive "hammer down" style but, on the other hand, I don't make any real effort toward fuel economy.