Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Shutterbug

Testing trolling motor battery

2 posts in this topic

I realize this isn't a very accurate test in any form, but I just took a battery that I haven't used or even charged for a couple years, and hooked my 50# Minnkota to it. I charged the battery, hooked it up and turned the motor on 5th speed. It's been running for almost 2 hours. Does anyone have any idea how much more juice the motor would take, while under an actual load? I'm just wondering if this battery would be worth keeping as a second for my canoe, in case the other one goes dead while a mile from shore.

If I understand you correctly, you're running your electric trolling motor out of the water? I'm not sure I'd do that for very long. I suspect that the lake water doubles as a coolant for the motor.

In regards to your question, I would guess the motor doesn't use too much current unless it is working against the load combination of water and heavy boat but I am not too sure about it. In most cases, without a real load, a motor will use pretty low current.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Well yeah but can you name a vehicle built for off road including any domestic pickup truck that doesn't have issues with rust. Fenders, rockers, frames etc. If you play in the mud and salt you need to maintain them. UTVs are no different. Ask yourself why Polaris would put the air filter canister intake in the rear wheel well so it is sucking in the air from the dustiest area they could possibly draw it from resulting in a 4k bill when the motor grenades.    Jeeps are fun, used ones can be had at a reasonable price but by their nature you need to be careful when you purchase because if the previous owner drove them the way they were marketed then they may have some issues.   But the aftermarket has an amazing amount of mods,upgrades and accessories to make your Jeep into anything you want and because the generally go 10 years between major design changes there are a large number of parts available if you need them.     
    • Anyfish it's still points and way better than a zero for points! Congrats on the fine eating bird.
    • Pick up a Jake morning.  Not going help the team score, if at all.  But it sure will taste good.
    • It's been very quiet in the woods the past few days.  Some gobbling this morning.
    • Nice! Way to go! Hope I'm able to get out and enjoy hunting when I'm that age.
    • Well, one of the advantages to owning a Jeep is there are always plenty of Jeep owners out there looking for parts, so if you get ahold of one with a bad frame, you could always part it out and sell the parts to another Jeep owner who believes they have a good frame....      
    • I am saying if you go mudding or off-roading you will plug any of the drain holes they could put in there anyway. Not much different from the weep holes they put in the rear fenderwells and rockers of trucks.  I suppose it may have benefit to those who stay on pavement.
    • They put holes in the sides of the frame, so salt and mud could get in, but no holes in the bottom so they could drain, so not sure if that was planned, or just p*ss poor engineering.  They probably didn't really care as long as they outlasted the warranty period.        
    • Drain holes just end up getting plugged with mud and debris anyway.
  • Our Sponsors