Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Shutterbug

Testing trolling motor battery

2 posts in this topic

I realize this isn't a very accurate test in any form, but I just took a battery that I haven't used or even charged for a couple years, and hooked my 50# Minnkota to it. I charged the battery, hooked it up and turned the motor on 5th speed. It's been running for almost 2 hours. Does anyone have any idea how much more juice the motor would take, while under an actual load? I'm just wondering if this battery would be worth keeping as a second for my canoe, in case the other one goes dead while a mile from shore.

If I understand you correctly, you're running your electric trolling motor out of the water? I'm not sure I'd do that for very long. I suspect that the lake water doubles as a coolant for the motor.

In regards to your question, I would guess the motor doesn't use too much current unless it is working against the load combination of water and heavy boat but I am not too sure about it. In most cases, without a real load, a motor will use pretty low current.