• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How was your Opener?

I think this whole idea of shaming people into releasing a size of fish you determine is not ethical to keep is silly. There are laws - so we obey them. People can keep and consume what is legally their right.

If you want to change people's minds, you're going to have to do a lot better than shaming people. Give some solid evidence/reasoning why we should toss back a 13 inch walleye rather than consuming them would be a start.

I disagree with berrated people for keeping smaller fish. 13" walleyes taste delicious. Have you ever kept 2 13" fish and made a fish sangwich? To die for!

On the other hand, basically anything over 20", whether you THINK it's a male or not, is a prime breeder. There are facts to support it.

blahblahblah, each person decides what they want to keep, and what tastes better, big and small taste the same- there's opinions...tons of them! I've ate a 20"er and a 14"er and I could not tell the difference but I could tell the difference of batter...

I wasn't trying to shame anyone for keeping the fish that they keep. I was merely pointing out that keep a fish over 20" has more effect on the lake than keeping a 13-16" fish. Thanks Matt for throwing your respected opinion into the mix.

Man it gets old having just about every post that has the mention of a fish being kept ends up this way. As long as it is legal I don't care what you keep and you should not care about me. I just want to here how everyone did and what was working or not working.

Fished close to home on the opener. Between four of us we only caught seven walleyes, few bass and a snake northern. Morning there was snow/rain mix and strong winds. It did mellow out though and even got to see the sun for 30 to 40 seconds. Lots of boats on a normally few boat lake. Sure felt good to hit the water. Got home and cleaned fish and found no crackers or shore lunch so decided to grill on the BBQ. They were awesome!!