Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steffanf

Don't try this yourself...

5 posts in this topic

I was out fishing last Monday for some crappies at one of my favorite lakes, using my 5' St. Croix Premier UL rod with 2 lb. test line. Coupled with a tiny Pfluger President spinning reel, this little set-up is nice for throwing very tiny lures. Well, I managed to hook into a couple pike that day. The largest was at 26", which put up one heck of a fight. Later in the day, I hooked into a 20", which wasn't too bad either. When I brought this 20" pike back to the boat, I noticed something was following it. It was a big ol' musky, all scarred up in many places, eyeing up the little pike about 2 feet behind it. It sat there watching while the pike was boatside, so I decided it would make an interesting picture. So, while crouched down getting my camera, you can probably guess what happened. It was only on for a few seconds, but when it hit, I nearly soiled myself! For some reason, the line stood the test, but the little rod was toast. While reeling in, I noticed I still had the pike on... at least most of it. I got this picture while it was still in the water:

363596662.jpg

Something ominous is still visible in the picture!

Not wanting to go though it again (could be considered illegal to use a pike as bait!), I hauled the pike in. I took a couple other pictures of the fish after landing it. The muskie actually bit though the last 1/3rd of the pike and it had two gashes from either side of the jaw:

363596657.jpg

363596661.jpg

The pike was actually still fairly lively but personally, I don't think the pike will live very long.

awsome. i'll be throwing a 24'' proto-type lure this year if i can get my affairs in order soon frown . can't go to big or too small in my experience. thanks for the share.

That sounded pretty awesome to witness. Glad you were able to take pictures. Thanks for posting the pic.

Amazing. I sure wouldn't go skinny dipping in that lake. shocked

That had to be neat to see. Nice of you to think of FM and get some pics too. wink

We hear stories all the time, photo evidence and back up realy makes the story come to life. Good Job.!.!