• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Isolating depthfinders from starting battery?

CrappiesNeyes

Question

8 answers to this question

Well, here is where I can help.

We create a fused, diode protected with Capacitor circuit.

Essentially you put a 5 amp fuse inline with a 6 amp diode, then use a pair of 6800uF capacitors in parallel with ground (or do 4 if you want a larger reserve) and then put a 3 amp fuse in series with the output.

The first fuse is to protect from short circuit, and to protect the diode from thermal failure.

The diode protects from power backflow, such as the temporary voltage drop that occurs when the starter engages.

The capacitors hold a small charge to keep the output voltage stable. They also help provide noise filtering on a basic level.

The last fuse is to protect the GPS unit that is connected.

I have also used this circuit before to remedy problems when a motor circuit (such as a trolling motor) or fans, causinf interference.

I can throw together a schematic later if needed.

hey GBPacker-

A schematic would be good. I have the same problem with my graph shutting off. As long as this set-up would be safe to use, I would be willing to try it.

Talked to a guy at Capras very helpful.

Told me to run it directly off the battery. Kept the fuses on it of course.

Wired it directly to the battery and no more shutting off.

Man is that nice not to have to screw around with!

One question do they recommend putting a fuse on the ground wire also? On all of my applications, if i am running a paired wire i will twist them and ground both leads. Just in case you do short it will blow hot or ground rather than melting wires. I am sold on battery isolater for multipurpose batteries. Good luck.