• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late Season Turkey Tactics

mlvaj

Hi guys, I will be hunting next weekend season G and was wondering on what tactics you guys use during the later seasons? It'll be my first turkey hunt ever so a little help is needed. I'll be hunting down where I normally hunt for deer. I've seen a lot of turkeys but just don't know how to hunt them this late in the season. What can I do to improve my chances of getting a tom?

Get yourself into a blind and sit em out. They are really moving around the toms and jakes. hens should be working on getting to nests here shortly. Put the blind where you have seen birds in the last few days. They will come back day after day. IF the jungle is greening up you can put the blind out on the edge. Just stay still and wait em out. Little calling as possible. I never use decoys except early when the big boys want to fight. At this time they are done fighting and want to

--well you know. I was out last week seen birds from 6am to 2pm. Just lots of spare time in between. If your in a spot where there are turkeys in the last month. "if you hunt they will come"

So are you guys recommending no decoys at all or just a hen? Thanks in advance.

That's what makes this such a great sport, you never know till ya go. Conditions will change every day. There are still plenty of hens running around that are not yet setting. Personally my next time out, I will have a hen or two with me.

Lots of different strategies for sure.

Let the birds tell you they are the only ones that count.

Some will come running to hens and others will hang up out of range strutting and gobbling.

Some will come in aggressively to a jake or jake hen set upand others will run the other way when they see them.

Some will get nervous and work around you set up without a decoy while others will keep looking for her until they are in range.

Time will tell. wink

You won't really know until you give it a try. Find a good spot, set out a single hen and see what happens. That's what I did and had one in Nebraska and one in Minnesota strut right in from 150 yards out. Now I'm pretty sure neither one of these birds had seen a decoy before and that makes a big difference. If you know you will be hunting an area that has had a lot of pressure put on it you might be better off without the decoy and find a good spot and sit it out with some light calling off and on. Bring lots of patience for sure. Good luck and let us know what happens.

I had 1 day to hunt<, opening day the 10th. went and sat where I rooster a few and heard them up until 7 then nothing sat it out til 9:30. went home ate and tried a new stretch of woods set out HEN dec and called nothing tried another spot same set up NOTHING. One last spot it was about 1:00 set up the same again, heard gobble FAR FAR away, then it sounded like it was getting closer then closer then I saw him clear the woods and into the planted field, 250 yards away. He kept coming, got about 70 yards out and was turnin big time, would not come to dec, tried a few clucks and purrs and he came another 10 yards, kept at it and he ended up 5 yards from my dec, then it was game over. great fun!

I'm a firm believer in the 10:00 till 2:00 hunt if you get one to answer it's almost a givin you will get him within 70 yards.. but those last 30 yards are a killer sometimes...

Can"

't wait till next year!!! lol

Me and my cousin went out last night, I called in 2 Toms in my decoys at 15 yards. This morning had a hen, a jake & a Tom in the decoys at about 20 yards. They responded to my calling and decoys.