• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is It Going To Be A Slow Year?

Shack

I would have to say that there are some seriously hungry Flats out there right now ... and chunky girls too! I lost two monsters tonight, and between Jeff and myself landed seven (including a double) ... all within three hours ... I have been finding that the Flats are taking bait about an hour before up til about an hour after sunset, haven't stayed out too much later than that yet this year, so I can't give any late night reports, but I'm assuming the fish are still nearly as active then too ...

Quote:
Thats funny

It is not, when it is true wink

One of my buddies who got me going on this flathead thing (Chris-O) many moons ago, grew up on the edge of the bluff by Cherokee on the West Side of St. Paul. Fished every day from when they where old enough to get them selves down to the river and even still to this day when the big "50" is right around the corner winkgrin He has got some huge cats down on Pool 2 and if anyone remembers the old High Bridge bait on Water Road, he had his own section of the bragging wall all to him self wink . 30's, 40's and even a 50 that he said was 50+ grin, where posted on that wall. A true cat dude!

There are two things he "laughs" at me for grin.

One is fishing with bullheads grin He will never use one, cause other things have worked for him crazy.

The second is wasting my time on the water before July 1st (or late June is the temp(s) are up). wink

He will not even step one foot down to the river, unless the temp(s) are right to him. I know Pool 2 is a world away from the MN river in the areas most target, but this seems to work for him. Now grin, I think some of what Larry said in his quote has to do with why he does this, but he has fished that stretch of river since the 70’s and does get on the big flats every year. I know if I was to call him this week and say I am going down next weekend I would get an ear full grin I am going to prove the bassterd wrong some day grin, but to date have not.

I did elect to forgo fishing this evening, but next weekend I will be on the water for sure wink I am at a point where (being an hour and twenty minutes away one way) I am gunning for a big fish and have been for awhile now. This makes a man look back and look in the cracks as to what is up and when wink.

I see some are not on-line and are just getting on-line now whistle. I hope I am proven wrong grin I stayed up waiting to night, but from looking in the “cracks” from years past (Moore’s Contest), the good stuff might not come until Sunday night or even Monday laugh.

Nice flat SH! smile

......and for those that want to wait, you could possibly be missing out on one of the best Channel bites of the year going on right now wink

The quality of the channel catfish that have been posted on this site by FM'ers has been impressive....and your right, its a fraction of the channel bite thats really happening out there.

I have decided to still go out overnight tonight despite the cool temps. Pool 2 temps have dropped 3 degrees in the last 3 days but have started to come up a little today. mad Think I'm gonna use the heater tonight if it gets to cold. I'm going to try moving around quite a bit, and with 3 in the boat we should be able to fish a spot fairly efficiently. If it's slow I might just turn the side-image on and cruise for new hunting grounds grin I'll give a report when I get back in tomorrow. Wish me fish... laugh

I haven't seen a flathead since saturday morning. Spent most of sunday putting bait right on top of them so we thought, gave that up and went to cut bait and the channel bite got hot after we hit a couple of spots real line rippers. Some large flats have been caught but the weather has been way to inconsistent to get a steady bite, we have an advantage down here due to a certain warm water discharge as far as flats go.

I haven't seen a flathead since saturday morning. Spent most of sunday putting bait right on top of them so we thought, gave that up and went to cut bait and the channel bite got hot after we hit a couple of spots real line rippers. Some large flats have been caught but the weather has been way to inconsistent to get a steady bite, we have an advantage down here due to a certain warm water discharge as far as flats go.
You didn't happen to be on fivezeroseven back in the day did ya? I'm turbotalontuner from over there. Anyways, hush hush amigo tight lips are not a novelty item! wink I know exactly where that honey pot is lol

Made it out overnight sunday on pool 2. Despite the water temps being down to 56, the channels were feeding pretty hard. Active fish were caught in 5-15 ft of water just outside of the current seams. Barge mooring channels off of the main channel were the ticket for consistant action as long as they were adjacent to current. They didn't seem to have a preference on bait as we caught fish on cut sucker, chichen livers, and shrimp. Didn't bother trying bullies as the action was pretty steady. Biggest fish was a little over 14 with a bunch in the 6-8 Lb range. Had to turn on the heater after the dew settled, 46 and damp is chilly wink Hopefully next weekend will bring river temps in the 60s. Good luck everyone!!