• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike Plastics

I've been interested in getting into using soft plastics and swimbaits for pike a bit more this season. What have you guys used and enjoyed for this type of outfit for pike? I've only had experience pitching plastics for bass so I'm curious how some of these bigger style baits hold up. Cheers.

We fish Rainy Lake around the end of June each year and have good luck using Zoom Super Flukes (white) along weed beds and actually in the weeds. Usually fish them without a weight using a wide gap 4/0 or 5/0 hook. Zoom has come out with a Magnum size (7") this year and will try it in about 45 days.

A good technique that works for us is to have a rod with a fluke tied on handy. If using a top water and the Pike misses . . . just pitch the fluke in the area and you usually get a hit.

Big plastics have a Big place in my pike fishing game. 5" grubs w/huge tails, big paddle tails and swim shad, and big plastic j e r k baits like slug-go's.

Pike are hard on stuff. Supper glue will work to patch some stuff up. My general rule is to not spend a ton of $$$ on pike plastics unless I can get a lot for the money or something that will hold up.

the large mogambo grubs by Kalin are awesome... so are lunker city shakers

j-mac jigs with the mogombo trailers are killer

large 8" senko style baits can be superb as well

I like the large storm swimshads like the 6" ones, otherwise the moneyminnows work well for all species. if targeting larger pike I like to use some of my hand poured shad lures, they are 8" long, and I rig them with a 10/0 owner beast swimbait hook 1/2 oz. and in open water I put a 1/0-2/0 treble over the barb and stick one of the trebles back in the swimbait. when its done it looks like on of those t.w. frogs with the two hooks sticking out of it. those large reaper tails on the esox jigs works well to, in the heat of summer thats the ticket for the deep suspended fish. they got some large swimbaits out called shalolicous and theyre like 7" long or so but ive never used them. Ive also had luck with the sluggo's. I make some that look like the slither from Muskie innovations and they work awsome in the slop and rigged with a sinker you can get them on the bottom and whammo. well good luck