Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishon68

How do you hook your minnows

13 posts in this topic

When bobber fishing for walleyes do you hook thru the back or the lips?

When bobber fishing, parrallel to the dorsal fin, hook point forward. I do like to crowd the hook more twards the tail than the head, and just barely threw the skin to let the minnow fight more.

depends what your using? plain hook I like to go thru the back. jig i like to hook thru the lips to the top of the head

right behind the ol dorsal fin, or even a little further back sometimes.

Jig or Lindy - through the lips, out the head. Bobber fishing (or vertical jigging with a bare hook) - right under the dorsel fin and sometimes even the tail. I tend to be pretty conservative when I hook them (not so much with a jig) so as not to kill them right away. I would rather have a lively minnow (when your presentation calls for it) and have it come off than a dead one that looks.. well.. ah.. dead. This is just one man's opinion. Paul

in current through the lips, slack water through the dorsal. If im trolling a larger bait like 5-7" I like to floss rig through teh nostrils, or a circle hook through the lips