• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Geico...wow!

Hey All,

I did a search as I know there's been a topic about this before, but no luck finding it.

I just got a quote from Geico for our auto insurance. I went through our current policies and coverages line-by-line with them so I know it's 100% apples to apples. I won't go through all the details, but their quote saves me over $900.00 per year!

My biggest concern is getting the service if and when I ever need it. We've been with our current guy for 11 years and, even though we've only had 2-3 claims, he took care of us extremely well. I had a long discussion with them about this and I think I'm sold.

Anyone have their policies through these guys? How do you like it? Any fine print they're not telling me about?

If I do this and it seems to go well, I'll definitely look into getting quotes on everything else.

Ask what kind of parts they use. We had a customer that hit a curb and bent the rear end housing. 3000 miles on this brand new truck. They put a USED rear end in it. I have seen where they want to install used shocks/strut, spindles, leaf springs. It is kind of scary how they want to save money.

I got a quote from them once. I made the mistake of giving them my phone number, in my case they were higher than the company I was with. I let them know this, but it didn't stop them from calling me on an almost daily basis. I learned a big lesson there.

They were higher for me by about $400 every 6 mos. I told them that as well, and they asked me at the end of the phone call when they wanted me to start my coverage, I told them never at that price, they said if I was paying less then that then my other insurance company must not have very good coverage. I told them I wasn't interested, and they would call atleast every week for 2 mos afterwards.

Line by line on the limits of coverage isn't the same as comparing the actual policies. I have no experience + or - with GEICO. But something isn't the same.

A thought - go to your current guy and show him what you got from the other and ask him to explain why you should pay more to him.

I use a local agent that I know. When something happens I call Mike and say here's what happened, should I submit a claim? He's saved me a lot of money by telling me to not file even a $1500 claim because of what it would do to my rates over the next couple years. I don't think you get that sort of advice from some computer or a guy on a phone 2,000 miles away. I may pay a bit more but I think it's a bargain in the long run.

I have a friend who bought from them and had an accident. They were a pain to deal with before it was all over.

I had thought of changing to them but after his accident and his hassles, I stayed where I am at.

He told me he should have stayed with the company he was always with.

Those great deals usually are only great until you need them.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have continued asking around and the feedback I've gotten is mostly positive. People seem to have no problems with claims and are very happy with the service they've recieved.

I will talk to my current agent before making the switch, but I don't think he can match the prices. He's tied to a big-name company and just has too much overhead to be competitive. Here's a couple examples of why I started looking.

1) I've never filed a claim on the house or cabin, yet my rates went up 30% this past year.

2) The exact same ATV insurance is $40 more with my guy.

3) The exact same boat insurance is $63 more with my guy.

4) This auto quote was for three vehicles (2 primary and 1 minimum use) and a utility trailer. I think $900 is significant enough for a real close look. Heck, I just received an invoice for 1 of the cars and the 6-month premium is over $400.00 (not a big fancy car either).

5) I could still take the cars anywhere for service and can still get as many estimates as I want.

6) My fears were put to rest after having a long discussion with them about the claims process and not wanting to sacrifice service. They have been very nice to deal with and I haven't received one phone call from them.

More opinions are welcome, and please keep them coming. I'm looking to make the switch next week.

i've been with state farm since i started driving, i now have my truck, car, and house bundled together and get a nice multi-line discount. And i've never had any problems with my local agent. i can call them and ask questions at any time and get an answer. I locked my keys out of my car the other day, and with roadside assistance they got someone to come out and unlock it and i didn thave to pay a cent!

my rates havent really done anythign in the past few years either. actually they have dropped, but im at the age (24-25) where they should be dropping.

Titlines,

The agent I have is independent and maybe that's a big reason why he can be both competitive and good with advice on claims. Maybe you should ask around for some referrals to independent agents and see what happens. Not knocking GEICO but that on-line/telephone only thing just doesn't work for me as noted in my previous post.

Tom

I got a price quote from Geico a few years ago and it was higher than the company I was with then.

In 10 years I've been with four different insurance companies and each time I've switched it's gotten cheaper and the insurance company has gotten better.

Work with insurance companies on a weekly business so know the good and the bad. With talking to body shops it seems the same insurance companies are good and bad when it comes to paying out on either home owner claims or auto claims.

As far as the big three are concerned, State Farm, Farmers, and American Family you can't go wrong. There are other insurance companies that are good as well.

My insurance premiums are a little more than average though so having a good agent is key. 6 vehilces full coverage, 5 trailers, and two houses. Good multi policy discount!!! Auto and home insurance is cheap compared to business insurance.

I had alot of problems with State Farm and will never use them again. We also use an independent agent who can get quotes from multiple companies (apples to apples) and that is the way to go IMHO. Despite having no claims our rates went up 30% this year. Needless to say we are switching.

Every few years you need to review your policies and shop around. Its pretty standard for companies to raise rates after you use them a few years, even if you don't have any claims.

Also remember State Farm screwed alot of people down south after hurricane Katrina (look at all the lawsuits they lost as proof), so don't be thinking they are bulletproof.

Been a AIG now 21st Century customer for 15 years, No claims and get fantastic rates. I never talk to an insurance man for my insurance needs. All my insurance business is done online. I compare online regular to, and still 21st Century beats them all.

Just to throw in a harse of a different colour... We have 4 cars, two motorcycles, a boat and a covered motorcycle trailer insured with Progressive. They have always been Johnny-on-the-spot when we have had a claim. (Twice now) Rates did go up a skosh after mama's at fault accident but not that much. We have had very good luck with them. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo