• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question about filters

hello again, Sue here grin

I have 3 lenses I use in my arsenel of "tools" for my picture taking,,

- one of which is a 50mm (with a 58mm filter size)

- one is my 28-135mm (with a 72mm filter size)

- and my 100-400mm (with a 77mm filter size)

my question is this:

I am buying a ND filter, and a polorizer filter (probably in BC now as it's too late to order online) for my trip. (wweeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm going on a trip!! grin)

ok I've settled down again,,

I shoot lots (or try to) of wildlife with my 100-400 lens, but also know I'll be shooting a ton of landscape shots (where these 2 new filters will come in handy)

I am thinking that I should get the filters to fit the 28-135mm lens due to it being the most used for landscapes,, am I right on that?

I guess I'm looking for some advice on which size to buy the filters is all. sorry it's so wordy. blush

I'd buy the 77mm. For landscape photographs, which should be shot from a tripod, you've got enough hands free so you can handhold a larger filter over the smaller lenses, but can't do it the other way around. You should also be able to buy add-on filter holders that will mount to your smaller lenses and accept the larger filters.

Sue, it just depends on your shooting style. All my landscape work is tripod-oriented, so it's easy to hold a 77mm filter over the end of a smaller lens. I've done it myself often, and seen it done by others many times with excellent results.

However, if the 28-135 is your bread-and-butter landscape lens and the only one you're likely to need those filters for, it may make more sense to buy for that lens alone.

For me, the ability to have one set of two filters that I can use on three lenses outweighs the potential hassle of using them on lenses they are not meant for. But that's just for me. Others have different feelings, and should think it through and do what they think is best for them and for their own needs. smilesmile

This is one of those cases where when I say: "I'd do . . . " it just means that that's what I'd do, not that it's what I necessarily think you or someone else should do.

yes I understand Steve.,, thank you again for your speedy reply, you got me to thinking now,,

your probably right about getting the larger size, it just makes sense to use for all, instead of being confined to one lens,, I just didn't think it was common practice to do that.. way back when I had my pentax EI2000 I had a holder for filters..

sorry Steve,, ok my understanding is a circular polorizer filter, is attached to a lens, and has the capability to move when you touch it to enhance the scene,, now if I am going to go with a holder (of sorts,, either hand held or an actual holder) then I can make that adjustment by moving the filter?

Handheld it's easy to make that adjustment. With a filter holder I guess it would depend on the holder, but you can always take it out of the holder, adjust it, and put it back in.

I'm sorry I don't know more about specific filter holders and systems. Those holders are a type of gear I haven't fooled with much for many years. I know there are several good ones out there. Some are more generic, but there also are some systems where you have to buy the same brand filter and holder.

Really no reason to hand hold a filter. Buy the 77mm filter and buy a step down ring to 72mm (about $10). Problem solved for those two lenses. I don't recall but I am guessing you can also buy a step down ring to 58 from 72, or just add two together to get down to 58mm. Either way very easy cheap solution.

Sue,if you're referring to a "circular" polarizer, then that's a different subject. There are circular and linear, and you will need a circular for your type of camera. All "round" polarizers, as far as I know, have a separate ring to adjust to make you scene look different.

Just wasn't sure if you were referring to a "circular" or a "round" because in this case they mean different things.

Good Luck

ah a step down ring huh? more food for thought,, thank you all for helping me,, I am looking into that now.

as for the circular vs the round, I had no idea,, I think I rattled poor Steve with my questions,, sorry buddy blush

No prob here, Sue. A step-down ring is one type of holder, but as I've little current experience with holders I didn't want to get too far into things and was too busy with other stuff to do Web searches to educate myself enough to answer your questions. smilesmile