Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobT

So what's all the rave?

9 posts in this topic

Swine flu. Can't seem to turn on a news report lately without hearing about it. It's referred to a pandemic. People in Mexico are being warned to keep a 2' no approach zone to avoid incidental contact, increase personal hygene standards, and wear face masks. Just the possiblity that a person has the virus invokes schools and businesses to be closed for days and huge sums of money spent for disinfecting when in reality the flu virus only survives for a few days anyway without a living host anyway.

According to National Public Radio news today, the World-wide confirmed death toll so far from the swine flu is 43. Forty-one of them in Mexico and two in the United States.

If this wasn't true it would be a great joke.

According to CNN news, dated 4/28/09, in the United States there isn't a single month in 2009 that does not include a minimum 800 deaths due to typical annual flu bugs.

THAT'S 400 TIMES MORE DEATHS DUE TO THE COMMON FLU EACH MONTH THAN THE TOTAL NUMBER OF DEATHS DUE TO THE SWINE FLU.

In fact, 36,000 people die every year in the United States alone due to complications arising from typical flu viruses. That sounds more like a pandemic than the swine flu to me.

We sure do love to blow things way out of proportion.

THAT'S 400 TIMES MORE DEATHS DUE TO THE COMMON FLU EACH MONTH THAN THE TOTAL NUMBER OF DEATHS DUE TO THE SWINE FLU.

I agree with you 100%, but you might want to check your numbers. 43 x 400 = 17200, not 800. Its actually about 18.6 times. grin

Bob, did you need to start a new thread on this? Just a little farther down the page we've been flogging this dead horse for quite awhile. gringrin

Yeah, I know but things have been too quiet lately in this part of the forum. Thought I'd spice it up a little again.

My math was correct because I was referring to US deaths.

The 800 deaths noted have been in the US alone and with only 2 deaths from the swine flu in the US...

800 / 2 = 400.

This has been repeatedly referred to as a pandemic. What constitutes a pandemic?

According to Webster...

Pandemic - occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population.

That's interesting because in July 2008...

Population of Mexico - 109,955,400.

Population in the US - 304,059,724.

43 out of 109,955,400 = .000000391% of the population.

2 out of 304,059, 724 = .00000000658% of the population

Is that exceptionally high? You be the judge.

At 36,000 deaths annually due to common flu, that represents .001% of the US population.

Neither is really an exceptional proportion of the population and therefore neither constitutes a pandemic.

According to Webster...

Pandemic - occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population.

Then according to Webster the unexplainable infatuation with our new President would be considered a pandemic?

They needed somethign to push in the media to get away from the economy. Just my 2 cents.

and how many are killed in auto accidents? Murders? Suicides? or whatever someone wishes to make into it?

File this version of the Swine Flu with the Bird Flu and SARS (remember them?) as another of those diseases that are destined to wipe out millions.

Or with the Swine Flu of the mid '70s...where the vaccine was worse than the disease itself.

They needed somethign to push in the media to get away from the economy. Just my 2 cents.

That's a good idea, maybe we could start some off the wall rumor about Brett Favre signing with the Vikings!?!?! Oh wait we already did that.