Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flatline

Trying macro/close up

8 posts in this topic

Trying macro/close ups on some dandelions in backyard.

Images are with Sony a300, kit 18-70 lens, 2 sec self timer, on tripod. Only cropped and resized. C&C welcome.

70mm, f13, 160s, iso100, 4x macro lens adapter

DSC03051-1.jpg

70mm, f13, 1/160s, iso100 4x macro lens adapter

DSC03052-1.jpg

60mm, f13, 1/125s, iso100, 4x and 2x macro lens adaptors stacked

DSC03060-1.jpg

Nice balance of colors, Darrin.

I'm not conversant in your 2x and 4x macro converters. Are they like hollow extension tubes that put your lens farther from the sensor so you can focus closer, or are they actual teleconverters with magnifying glass in them?

While I really like the way you've arranged the compositions, I think a bit of sharpening in post-processing would make them pop better.

I am probably using the wrong terminology.They are a like a screw on filter. Wind was blowing ever so slightly

OK, they screw onto the front of your lens? Got it. I edited my first post because I'd belatedly realized you didn't do any sharpening in post-processing. smilesmile

Also, the sharpening in my opinion is a minor issue in this case. They are sharp enough to be attractive and that is, well, sharp enough. smilesmile

Also there's more fun to come experimenting with light, which has a big impact on a macro/closeup subject. There are plenty of diffusers/reflectors around that can mellow out harsh light or bounce light into shadowed areas. Some like to use those and some prefer nature's light unbent by human hands.

You could always try out the Raynox DCR-150 or 250 snap on diopters. Really cheap for what they do. Some examples here.

I really like the 1st and 3rd. Nice.

ooohhh I love the colours!! nice!

Thank you for the tips and feedback. I am looking forward to trying other options for light and composition.