• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is 6' too short?

Drewski

What do you guys think? I currently have a 6'6 L, 6'6 ML, and a 7'L for crappies, and I'm thinking about getting a 6'UL for casting jigs n plastics. Do you guys think that's too short?

I personally wouldnt go any longer than 6' on an ultra light. I used to have a 6'6" st croix ultra light and hated it. When such a light rod gets that long it gets very flimsy and almost sloppy. Just my opinion, I have a 6ft now that I am much happier with. I think 5'6" may be even better.

I have a 5'6" light action that I use for crappies & sunnies. 4 lb. test. no problems with it at all. Like so many things with fishing, it's what you like, not what everyone else is using

If you can find one, they are no longer in business, I have a 7' one piece Fig Rig UL. I absolutely love it. It is no where near too flimsy, has great sensitivity and will allow you to fast farther and more accurate. I actually use this rod for early walleyes with 1/8 oz jigs. There is plenty of backbone on this rod to use it for eyes. I picked mine up at Reeds last year and wish I could find another. They had it priced wrong. The rod retailed for $89 and they had a $29 tag on it.

IMO, normally this time of year, it's windy, making it hard to cast jigs/plastics very far, or when you do, you get the huge bow in your line. I use the longest rods I can. 7"6" and an 8'. Longer rods = longer casts and more slack pickup when setting the hook in my mind. Plus I like to keep as far away as possible to prevent spooking the school. Also, I'm a fairly tall guy, and casting anything less than 6' feels like a snoopy pole. laugh

I have a couple and might add to it. I have a light action for bobber fishing and use that for other types of bobber fishing for eyes and such just for fun. I also have a 5' micro-light that I use and love just for panfishing. I do want to add a cane pole one of these days. Might get another micro-light as well. They are just a ton of fun.

I agree with BSG the longer the rod the farther you can cast smaller setups. Infisherman talked about a fly rod and spinning reel as the ultimate pan fish combo.

Paul