Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Fish Hunter247

Oil Mixture?

9 posts in this topic

What is the oil mixture for an 83 40hp Johnson? my dad just bought one and I'm not sure what it is?

Big Fish Hunter247

Most 2 cyc, boats are 50-1. Doesn't it say anywhere by the tank? You should be able to look it up on the web also. But every boat motor I have ever had, about 9 of them, were 50-1.

the tank isnt an origional that was my guess too at 50:1 but I just wanna make sure Im not very familar with Johnson all I have had is Mercury smile

my 86 28 says it can go as low as 100 to 1.... plugs are cheaper than new motors!go with 50 to 1 and it should be fine ohh and use a quality marine 2 stroke oil.

100-1? Wow the only thing I know runs on that is my old HD 3 wheel golf cart! And even that I mix 80-1 not to burn it up! crazy

Newer Yamaha 2-strokes use 100:1 I would use 50:1 in yours.

My 86 40 horse johnson says 100:1 on the motor but I am more comfortable with 50:1 which I Have been doing for years. This year I am making the switch to amsoil.

There are 2 different AMSOIL pre-mix 2-cycle oils.

For outboards use AMSOIL Saber Outboard. It can be used as lean as 100-1.

For air cooled (augers, string cutters, chain saws, etc) use Saber Professional which can also be used as lean as 100-1.