• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whipperwill?

Hester

Just wondering if anyone know the range of a Whipperwill?

I had one in my back yard last night and was really enjoying its singing. I don not recall hearing them in the past and just wodering if it is a rare occurance.

thanks,

Not sure where you live, but I can tell you that many years ago I listened to a whipperwill calling. It was during a deep backwoods camping trip in Manitoba's Whiteshell provincial park. It was the only time that I have ever listened to their song...

last spring at this time, we were camped up north of Kenora, and I had taken off on my quad for a ride, when I got back I was down at the lake, while the menfolk and kids were at the fire,, I heard this "noise" and thought it was too strange for a bird, so it must have been the boys fooling around whistling,, well as it turned out,, it wasn't the boys after all, it was a whipperwill,, what a loud bird!!! only heard at night, but oh my, does that sound carry!!!

They like the woodlands, and their loud and very pretty, distinctive call echoes through the woods in the evening. It's been years since I heard one. I grew up summers on my Gparents' dairy farm in SW Wisconsin and we hear them every evening.

I twice heard them calling in the woods behind our house in Grand Forks, N.D.

Whip-poor-wills range in Minnesota is strange well at least for me its strange.

They occur in southern Minnesota and even into southwestern Minnesota ( some parts not all parts of SW MN ) they are also found in NW MN and even in far NE MN in Cook County and possibly parts of Lake Co. St. Louis Co is quesitonable as to where they might breed. Some birders wonder if they breed in some of the hilly areas along the Iron Range or even up near Ely. Silver Bay, MN has them calling and possibly breeding and I know for usre thye breed just east of Grand Marais.

This year and into the next 5 years Minnesota is doing a breeding bird atlas and hopefully more will be known about the breeding range of these birds. So if you live in southern Minnesota look for hilly decidous areas ( forest areas ) and they should be calling now. Whip-poor-wills will be calling in NW MN and NE MN in the nest two weeks or so.

By the way I will be purchasing my very first SLR Canon camera and two lenses this week or this weekend. Hopefully then I will begin to post photos instead of just comments.

Mike H.

By the way I will be purchasing my very first SLR Canon camera and two lenses this week or this weekend. Hopefully then I will begin to post photos instead of just comments.

Mike H.

woohoo!! I'm standing by to see them!!!

Mike H.

You are going to deadly now--one-two punch. Terrific.

Whip-poor-wills range in Minnesota is strange well at least for me its strange.

They occur in southern Minnesota and even into southwestern Minnesota ( some parts not all parts of SW MN ) they are also found in NW MN and even in far NE MN in Cook County and possibly parts of Lake Co. St. Louis Co is quesitonable as to where they might breed. Some birders wonder if they breed in some of the hilly areas along the Iron Range or even up near Ely. Silver Bay, MN has them calling and possibly breeding and I know for usre thye breed just east of Grand Marais.

This year and into the next 5 years Minnesota is doing a breeding bird atlas and hopefully more will be known about the breeding range of these birds. So if you live in southern Minnesota look for hilly decidous areas ( forest areas ) and they should be calling now. Whip-poor-wills will be calling in NW MN and NE MN in the nest two weeks or so.

Mike H.

Mike,

Will you be using that new camera to take pix of that Crookston Hottie G. Delahunt?

Sincerely,

Roomie 82-83