• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 200hp optimax

rcook72

I know every engine is different what kind of hours do you have on a 2002 engine? Looking a boat with 240 hrs. At what point do you think that the # of hours is to much?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

That amounts to around 60 hours per year.

I don't think that's too far out of the ballpark...

What would be interesting is to see the hours at the rpm ranges... if this person used their motor to troll quite a bit (which isn't 100% likely, but possible, especially if it has smartcraft gauges on it) then it's definitely reasonable.

marine_man

I agree with Marine Man.

You can also take it into a dealer to investigate further. A mech can hook it up and see how many "OverRevs" the engine has had. This will tell you if the motor has been babied or abused.

Not trying to hijack thread, but do you guys know if a dealer can look this on a 97 efi? I don't think so, but would be curious what my motor is at. Thanks!

Thanks for input guys. So we did take it to mechanic and no codes, most of the hours were from 0-750 rpm I thought that was crazy. Pretty much idle right? or maybe just in gear trolling. Tell you what this boat blew away all my expectations in upgrades, cleanliness, all orinal paperwork for everything. I am going to need a new storage closet or shelves to put all the paperwork and boxes. This guy really took care of his stuff.

Don't outboards typically last 2000-3000 hours if properly maintained? I've heard rumors from people that 4 strokes may last longer, but still 2000 hours from a 2 stroke is a lot of time. 100 hours a season would last for 20 years.

I am picking her up this morning!!!!!! It is a 2002 nitro

901 cdx-dc. Yes I am excited!! x-85 on the box, lcx 27c at console both on mounting brackets. 109 36v trolling motor that just was given a check up at minnkota last year. seats and console all in immaculate condition, not stored outside. Wow I did not realize that with good maint that outboards lasted that long. That is what kind of info I have been looking for just could really find that info in any other boat/engine forums. Thanks again guys for the info, hopefully my brother and I can make it to a couple get togethers this year.

Marine man, what are the smartcraft guages all about. The guy I am buying it from recommended them and had some literature about them. I am not picking the boat up until today so I havent had a chance to read about them.

My fishing boat has twin 2002 225 hp Optimaxes, it was rigged with smartcraft since new. This system is great, it gives you alot of information from one source. What sold me on smartcraft is "troll control", I primarily troll and this allows me to enter the rpm and the engine computer will hold that rpm for trolling. It it is too rough or windy to troll on one engine and two are needed you can set the speed you want to troll and it will automatically maintain that speed.

I don't know what it would cost to upgrade, but it would entail running a new wiring harness to the engine, fuel tanks and speedo or gps, and shifter if you wanted DTS. Depending on your usage it may or may not be worth the cost to refit.

I just hooked up the System Monitor SmartCraft on my opti a couple weeks ago (SC1000 SM), bought the parts I needed on the big auction HSOforum that begins with "E" and ends down by the bay for about 200.00 bones total. Hookup was a breeze.

I didn't get the troll control features, as that setup went way outside my price range.

Call the Mercury Tech Hotline and they will give you all the part numbers you need to put it all together, just make sure you have the serial number on hand for the motor.

The lady I talked to was great and she said you would be suprised how many calls like that they get.

RU

Call the Mercury Tech Hotline and they will give you all the part numbers you need to put it all together, just make sure you have the serial number on hand for the motor.

The lady I talked to was great and she said you would be suprised how many calls like that they get.

RU

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but half of those calls to Mercury about something like this likely came from ME. And, no... they were NOT very helpful at all. It seems like the customer folks at Mercury are not very privy to the parts and equipment they sell. Every time, I called them asking about my guage set-up on my boat/motor, they had a different response! And, as it turns out, every response from them was WRONG. I managed to figure it out by myself, really no thanks to them (Mercury). Just thought you should be aware... use any info from Merc Customer Service at your own risk!

steffanf that is most unfortunate bummer it hasn't been easier.

When I called I explained what I was doing and she started to enter information into a program, asked me the overall length of the boat the appprox. length to the console. When I asked she said the program will spit out all the part numbers needed to setup the system. She came back with 2 part numbers, I purchased those part numbers and it's working like a champ.

heck I even found out my 04 Opti has a mere 50 hours on it.

[but half of those calls to Mercury about something like this likely came from ME. And, no... they were NOT very helpful at all. It seems like the customer folks at Mercury are not very privy to the parts and equipment they sell. Every time, I called them asking about my guage set-up on my boat/motor, they had a different response!

To be fair; RuKiddingMe was looking to buy Mercury parts from them. You were trying to figure out how to connect a off the shelf tach to your motor without going the mercury route (buy the expensive gauge and harness), and you were after pretty technical information that most customer service people don't have access to.

marine_man