Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Let's Save Time and Ban Everything

16 posts in this topic

Coalition Embraces Ban on Lead Ammunition in National Parks

Groups Push Interior Secretary to Follow Through on National Park Service Decision

5/6/09

The attacks on traditional, lead ammunition continue to rapidly descend on sportsmen.

Now, a coalition of parks, wildlife and wilderness groups have asked Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to follow through on the recently announced goal by the National Park Service (NPS) to ban lead in ammunition and fishing tackle by 2010.

As previously reported, the NPS announced in March, 2009 that it would ban lead ammunition and sinkers from land it administers. This is a serious cause for concern for sportsmen who would be negatively impacted by this decision impacting over 20 million acres of land that are open to hunting and fishing.

In a May 1, 2009 letter, signed by eleven groups, including the Humane Society of the United States, the NPS decision is commended for exhibiting “…a commitment to the overarching mandate imposed upon you by the Organic Act of 1916 to conserve parks unimpaired, so that they are enjoyed by present and future generations…” It also explicitly states that, “We strongly support this effort to achieve a lead-free national park system by the end of 2010.”

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) and other groups have repeatedly pointed out that there is no evidence connecting lead ammunition to any actual harm to animal populations on NPS property. However, there is strong evidence that forcing sportsmen to purchase higher cost, alternative ammunition does decrease the number of days spent in the field as it prices many out of the market.

“The NPS decision on banning lead ammunition and tackle is an anti-hunting and anti-fishing decision,” stated USSA vice president for government affairs Rob Sexton. “Eventually, this will cost conservation dollars as sportsmen reduce their purchases of hunting and fishing gear.”

Let's Save Time and Ban Everything

I like it! We should just git 'er done and be ahead of our time. If we banned everything, we'd be at negative population growth lickety split, and then the environment would have a chance to eventually recover. gringringrin

And then think of all the dancing in the streets and horseplay decades from now when we lifted all the bans! Of course, we better lift at least one of them before those born in nine months get much into their 40s. gringrin

So, you are suggesting something much less radical, like a temporary 39.25 year ban on Everything?

Sounds like a great plan...

If we ban everything , then every thing would be soooo much better...

Utopia... finally...

I just can't wait... laugh

I am still waiting for someone to come up with a ban on bans. laugh

That is one ban I could support!

So, you are suggesting something much less radical, like a temporary 39.25 year ban on Everything?

Well, I never assumed gunflint was talking about permanent bans. There's nothing in the word "ban" that says "permanent." All bans are human-imposed, thus all bans are as temporary or as permanent as we want to make them. smilesmile

And I was talking about lifting one specific ban in time to keep the human race procreating. That's not suggesting lifting bans on "everything." smilesmile

And lastly, my post was all in jest! gringrin

I am still waiting for someone to come up with a ban on bans. laugh

yes, but then a ban would be enacted on the banning of bans and we'd be back to square one. It's a never-ending circle

laugh

'This is the coalition, to ban coalitions...' Thats my favorite Hank Jr song. I totally agree, lets ban everything. Everything is killing the planet. Best thing we can do for this planet is ban humankind. We are the root of the problem. Well, maybe not me so much, but definitely you guys. Oh yeah you are all g-i-l-l-t-y. Thats a line from a Simpsons episode.

Originally Posted By: walleye101

Well, I never assumed gunflint was talking about permanent bans. There's nothing in the word "ban" that says "permanent." All bans are human-imposed, thus all bans are as temporary or as permanent as we want to make them. smilesmile

And I was talking about lifting one specific ban in time to keep the human race procreating. That's not suggesting lifting bans on "everything." smilesmile

And lastly, my post was all in jest! gringrin

My response was in jest as well, I just can't bring myself to use those #%^&* smily faces. grin! grin!

C'mon, dude, come over to the Dark Side. Most of the time those smiley faces are the only way we know whether people are joking or not. It doesn't make you less of a man. It's not like you're actually smiling in a fish picture or anything. gringrin

If we ban everything won't that leave a huge hole in the ever gaping mouth of government. If cigs and liquor are so bad for us than why don't we ban them??? Revenue. If cars are so bad then why don't we ban them? Gas taxes. Get the picture.

chasineyes, I don't think anyone was seriously considering total bans on everything. We were just making fun. smilesmile

chasineyes, I don't think anyone was seriously considering total bans on everything. We were just making fun. smilesmile

We're banning fun to! (serious icon)

GF,

Thanks for the heads up.

This ban basically effects only fisherman.

Most national park units already ban hunting, so what's really behind this "goal" to ban bullets ?

No conceal and carry in National/State Parks ?

A larger goal to ban lead bullets everywhere ?

More money for useless research ?

Call it what it is. Another step towards gun control.

This is'nt about the environment.

It's politics.

Where's the transparency ? crazy