Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quetico

Bike Races on Blackdog Road

44 posts in this topic

Has anyone else been on Blackdog Road in Burnsville/Eagan during these events?

They have professional style bike races down a narrow 1 lane each way road. The bikers ride 3 and 4 wide down the middle of road. Sometimes straight at on coming traffic. They refuse to move off to the side of the road to allow traffic around them. Then some of these people do tight u-turns out in front of you.

Tonight I had issues with these races for the 3rd time in the past year. I called the police. This had no effect I tried to talked to some people who appeared to be race organizers. They simply yelled at me to leave. [PoorWordUsage]?

Some the bikers had the nerve to yell at me to get off the road when I was walking along side it.

Yes we all have a right to use the road. These bike races are very dangerous for everyone. They need to find a quieter stretch of road.

What bike group organizes these races?

I will be filing a complaint with the city of Burnsville over this matter in the morning. Whose up for a petition?

I do not go in that area much, but I am with you - those bikers think they own the road and not that they are sharing it. And God forbid should a car/truck/motorcycle expect that the cyclists need to actually STOP at a stop sign.

I am not against all cyclists, just those like you describe, the ones who think they are "Special"... well, they are "special" for sure, in their little outfits and non-traffic-law-obeying-ways.

Bring on the petition, I will drive down there once and then sign it smile

I am not a fan of the bikers. There are miles and miles of bike trails in the metro, but many insist on riding on the streets like they are cars... except when there is that stop sign they blow through.

I really get a kick out of the riders that wear the USPS, Discovery Channel or whatever else team gear, like they're Lance friggin Armstrong rather than a middle aged chunky dude. You don't see people wearing a Boogard jersey playing pond hockey or a Morneau jersey at the beer league softball game do ya? Maybe I should start wearing a Nomex flame retardant GM Goodwrench Service plus NASCAR jacket like I am Earnhardt Jr. while I am stuck behind some bike rider blocking traffic at 15 under the speed limit. I can pretend it's a caution flag at Daytona while he pretends it's the Tour de France.

Also, the moose knuckle is so not cool.

That seems like a very odd place to do that. Narrow winding road with no shoulder and limited visibility equals disaster sooner or later.

If they are going to do that, shouldn't it be approved by the city and the have road shut down appropriatly? Not sure how it all works, but I don't think they should just be out there like they own the road.

Yeah I would think a permit would be required or something.

If were to join in a bike race like that I certainly wouldn't do it if there were cars on the road at the same time.

I'm guessing there is more to this story. Either they are blocking the road illegally in which case the cops better be doing something about it, or the bikers went through proper channels and the road is theirs for the designated time period.

Who knows, I would certainly be looking into it further if I were you though. At the very least if the bikers have the road shut down they should at least be informing motorists.

I just found the bike group using google. The time trials held at blackdog are open to auto traffic and they are supposed to obey all traffic laws. (thats in fine print).

I'd be going ahead with the complaint. They shouldn't be riding any more then 2 across and it is illegal for them to be impedeing the normal flow of traffic.

I typically don't take Black Dog Rd. when I use the launch so I haven't encountered this same group. However I am not new to Road Bikers and them pushing the laws of the road aside. The situation sounds unsafe and I think going through the authorities is your best bet. I'd be happy to sign something. The bikers are something I've learned to live with but when they ride dangerously and illegally is when I have issues. There's a great Mtn. Bike Trail down by the launch!

I've never seen the bike races you are talking about, but when I was in high school (early nineties) people used to "drag" race down there late at night (old school Fast and the Furious). I attended several of them. I don't remember anyone ever getting hurt, but the police would come down and break it up every night eventually.

Those bike races sound like a recipe for disaster to me.

Quote:
I've never seen the bike races you are talking about, but when I was in high school (early nineties) people used to "drag" race down there late at night (old school Fast and the Furious).

I was responsible for a few black marks on the starting line down there. It was always good for two or three races before the police or highway patrol showed up. The road is such disrepair right now I would not race a tricycle down there.

I got some interesting news today. The city of Burnsville knows nothing of these time trials. These massive organized events are using city streets to generate funding for this club without any knowledge of the city. The Silver Cyclists have a page on their HSOforum about these time trial.

They charge $15 bucks per time or $95 for the season. Figure they easily had 200-300 bikers. Thats enough to repave a portion of that road each year.

I pointed this out to the city today. Might have ruined someones day. They are holding these events without being cleared by the city. The city event manager has never heard of these time trials. Now the city is aware of them and something should happen.

The city manager responded quickly this morning. I spoke with a Police Sargent for 10 minutes about this tonight. Something will happen with these unauthorized bike races.

Not supporting the racers, but bicycles are entitled to use streets just like cars and have all the same rights.

See https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.222

Subdivision 1.Traffic laws apply.

Every person operating a bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle by this chapter, except in respect to those provisions in this chapter relating expressly to bicycles and in respect to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature cannot reasonably be applied to bicycles.

That means speed, lanes, signals, signs, traffic direction, right of way, etc. When is the last time we've seen a bike stop for a stop sign?

It isn't going to go over very well that they are charging for these events either.

Good riddance. I do a lot of driving and have nearly weekly close calls with bikes, and they are always such arrogant pr**ks. Maybe I just see the select few that are making a bad name for the rest...but...

They do have rights Del, but the can't take up the whole street and then charge without getting permits and such.

I'm not against them doing this, but they need to do it legaly.

Del- We are all well aware that bikers have the same rights to the road the rest of us. My issue is that during these races the bikers DO NOT abide by the traffic laws. If they would follow traffic laws I would have no issue.

When the city realizes this club is making at anywhere from $15k to over $30k a year using a city road without permission from them, some heads will roll. They are creating a public safety problem for a massive fundraiser for their club costing the city money for all the police calls. The city is going to want their cut.

i found a forum discussing the time trials. Just do a google search for Blackdog Bike Race. It would be interesting to see if they start talking about being shut down.

Also bikers do have rights but i believe they are not supposed to impede the normal flow of traffic. Riding on the shoulder is legal but riding down the middle of the lane at 20 mph in a 45 zone would not be legal from what i understand.

Quote:
Hmm, how do you think it got in disrepair?

Not sure what you are getting at here, but I can guatantee you that a few races a couple times a month does not have anything to do with it. My guess would be that the road was built on swap land and not maintained very well. I did get a laugh out of that though. grin

There is always something to get riled up about, isn't there?

A group of people enjoying some hobby, that inconveniences you for a few minutes. Let's moan, complain, get the city involved and hope for some permit fees to be paid.

Give me a break.

I don't bike race or participate in any of this. I also don't particpate in local fishing contests. Should I get all whiney about the lines at the boat ramp when the local fishing "for fun" tourney group comes and monopolizes the landing? Should I complain that they need to fill out documentation to our ever expanding gov't? Should I whine about permit fees and public areas?

Or, would it not behoove me to take a deep breath, realize they are enjoying themselves, and hope they have a good day?

Come on, people. There are all kinds of activities that people do that might not jive with what you see as fun. Or might inconvenience you a tiny bit. Let's not turn into that person that has to stop everybody else from having fun, because it doesn't fit into their definition of having fun.

Tim

I did say I wasn't supporting the racers. But there were a lot of comments to the effect of not wanting bikes on the street.

For example "I am not a fan of the bikers. There are miles and miles of bike trails in the metro, but many insist on riding on the streets like they are cars..."

They are supposed to stay to the right to the extent feasable but they are entitled to a lane if they need one. And if there are cars parked along the street or the parking lane is too sandy then they get a lane. Some actually ride far enough out to avoid getting hit by car doors opening.

There are all kinds of activities that people do that might not jive with what you see as fun. Or might inconvenience you a tiny bit. Let's not turn into that person that has to stop everybody else from having fun, because it doesn't fit into their definition of having fun.

Tim

T-boning some L. Armstrong wannabe after they ran a stop sign is more than a tiny inconvenience and it surely didn't fit into my definition of fun. I think it stopped him from having fun pretty quick too. Fortunately, he just got some road rash and bent up bike out of the deal and I just had to replace my undies.

I understand that bikers have a legal right to the road, but you are gosh darn right, I would be content to never see a biker on the road again.

my problrm is thst they fail to comply with the same traffic laws we have to, like previously stated. AND we have to pay taxes to use the same roads. THEY DONT!!! the state has spent many dollars on bike trails and lanes for them to ride on i do not think they should be on the roads my vehicle liscense taxes have built and maintaned. they ride like they own the road. i think all pedestrian laws need to be reviewed. why is it that we should yeald (with a 2 ton vehicle) to someone on foot that thinks he should be able to cross a road when ever or where ever they may seem fit, and i should try to stop my truck on a dime for them to do so. many states do not have yeild to pedestrian laws. it is way easier for a pedestrian to look and cross when it is safe to do so. i know i got a bit off base with this one but i used to put alot of miles in a truck a week and now i had my vent on it. hope you all have a great fishing opener. ill see you on the water some time next week. ... paul remember to support your local bait and tackle shops.

The problem I have with this race is that it they are breaking the law while doing it. If they were 100 % within the law then it wouldn't be a problem.

Bikers do have rights on the road. They have the right to be there and obey the laws. If they do not obey the laws then I feel we are justified in our complaints.

I understand the time trial they are running probably can't be done on a bike path as there are so many people walking the paths. I am fine with them using a road somewhere I just think that like a fishinng tournament that uses and lake and landing they should pull the proper permits. This would allow for a much safer ride for them, possibly even a ride that is more fun becuase they don't need to worry about cars, they can just focus on riding as fast as they want.

Nytelyter, I believe pedestrians only have the right off way at a cross walk. Just walking across the street at any random point is not legal and you do not need to stop for them legally. But do remember a cross walk isn't always marked. Anywhere where 2 sidewalks line up across a road is consider an unmarked cross walk and pedestrians do have the right of way unless the stop lights indicate otherwise.

Nytelyter, I believe pedestrians only have the right off way at a cross walk. Just walking across the street at any random point is not legal and you do not need to stop for them legally.

I'm about 99.9% certain they changed that law a few years back and the pedestrian always has the right of way.