• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick boating ?

tracker x-2

I was just wondering if a 19 year old needs any sort of certificate safty course to drive a 17' boat with a 75 hp motor. I know I could look it up, but just thought someone might know off the top of their head.

thanks

From the 2009 MN Boating Guide:

Quote:

AGE OF OPERATORS

The restrictions on boat operators appear on the next page. Operator’s permit education materials can be obtained from the DNR (addresses and phone numbers at end of this booklet), sheriff’s offices, as well as some schools and marine dealers.

If you are age 12 - 17, visiting Minnesota, and already possess a valid watercraft operator’s certificate/permit issued by your home state, you don’t need to obtain another one from Minnesota.

If you do not have a certificate from your state you may obtain one from Minnesota by successfully completing the DNR’s home study boating course. It is available free by calling or e-mailing the DNR Information Center - contact information can be

found at the end of this booklet.

The Minnesota Internet boating safety course at www.mndnr.gov/boating is an option for young boaters wishing to earn their Watercraft Operators Permit. It’s also a great idea for more mature skippers who want to broaden their boating knowledge and perhaps receive a discount on their boat insurance!

(Many boat insurance companies offer discounts to boat owners who have taken an approved boating safety course like ours!)

The great thing about our Internet course is that as soon as you pass the final exam, you can print out a temporary Watercraft Operator’s Permit (12-17 years) or Adult Certificate of Completion (18 years and over) right away.

Motorboat Operator Age Restrictions

(except personal watercraft - see page 38)

Less than 12 years of age

25 hp or less - no restriction.

more than 25 thru 75 hp - must have someone at least 21 on board within reach of the controls.

over 75 hp - cannot operate, even with adult on board.

12-17 years of age

25 hp or less - no restriction.

over 25 hp - must either have: a watercraft operator’s permit, or someone at least 21 on board within reach of the controls.

The course is a good idea. Really though, if you can drive a car safely you can drive a boat. Common sense will prevail. I would steer away from boating at night, in bad weather, and in very busy areas until you are comfortable operating the controls.

i am taking the couse right now and it is really boring! why do they have the 25hp limit? if you put a 25 on a 13' boat it will go faster than a 17 with a 75. and a 25 on a pontoon wil go 10.. just cerious why they have it set at 25 hp..

I decided to take the online course. Some of the information is common sense to a guy that has been boating for quite a while, but there is some really good information in it. I think it is worthwhile for adults, and when I have kids, they will surely be getting their certificates.

It's $20, but a good overview for anyone who boats or plans on boating. And like delmuts said, most insurance companies will then give you a discount on your boat insurance.