Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

Is Live Bait Dead?

16 posts in this topic

Nice article by Dennis Anderson in the Star Tribune today about the current state of live bait and the uncertain future. I really wish there would have been a little more focus on the escalating number of regs that puts virtual “handcuffs” on the Mom and Pop bait stores and also Average Joe that wants to get his own bait.

With all the money that these large corporations are dumping into their R&D for soft bait alternatives, to me, the future looks bleak. I’m sure they don’t mind at all if live bait dies.

For me it’s sad to see because there not much that is more satisfying then spending some down time collecting and nursing live bait and then using it on a slip or float rig to catch bigger ones.

Let’s hope the state keeps an open window for those of us that want to do that, rather than making bait stores and the general public jump through hoop after hoop after hoop to be legal, and even when you think your legal there is some weird clause that nobody can interpret.

So......is live bait dead????

Probably, it might not happen overnight, but just wait another decade or so.

I could see the BWCA being the first area in the state to actually ban live bait, just following the footsteps of what the adjacent Quetico park has already done.

Not that I agree with it (live bait ban), but I can see and agree with the reasons why it's being considered.

VHS isn't helping either as we get shortages of certain bait. Thinking of shiner farming grin

Five years ago, I thought that even the idea of live bait bans came up once in a blue moon. I mean, this is MN, we must be in the Guinness book of records for live bait use.

What would happen to all those red hooks we’ve been programmed to buy lately? I’m guessing the majority of anglers would start to get all surly and such if they weren’t allowed the tradition of live bait fishing.

So much for riding my fat tire bike down by the MN River anymore to try and catch creek chubs. Not to mention, I’d have to search out some moose drool to rub on my crankbaits while fishing the Boundary Waters, anything for that scented edge us non-bait anglers would need in the future.

All I can do is shake my head, stare at the heavens and hope that the suns corona doesn’t burn my eyes out. With all the new castles being built on our waterways, the average fisherman is sure to suffer even more down the line, and that’s not even including this live bait controversy.

Maybe we can have some sort of live bait summit? Where we can spout the positive virtues of Americas live bait history, and do it in such a way that even Sam Adams would be proud. So what’s it going to be, are we to remain Minnesota manly men, or become St. Pauli girls?????

Wounded, but not dead. I can't see a total ban on live bait. Certain areas, yes, but not statewide.

There needs to be sensible regulations. I.E. don't bring bait from the southern US to northern MN and let the rusties populate all of the lakes. But these legislators are forgetting that some of the nasty stuff is spread from lake to lake by birds and water movement, not people.

Steve

Wounded, but not dead. I can't see a total ban on live bait. Certain areas, yes, but not statewide.

Steve

Why not??? Has nobody realized these people will do whatever they want?? Nobody will stand up to them. Are you going to take a day off work to [PoorWordUsage] and complain? Sure write a letter to your rep. let me know how that goes.

"But these legislators are forgetting that some of the nasty stuff is spread from lake to lake by birds and water movement, not people."

WHAT? Bad things occurring..........Naturally?

Originally Posted By: thedeadsea

Steve

Why not??? Has nobody realized these people will do whatever they want?? Nobody will stand up to them. Are you going to take a day off work to [PoorWordUsage] and complain? Sure write a letter to your rep. let me know how that goes.

Whoa, relax! Who is even talking about writing letters?

Five years ago, I thought that even the idea of live bait bans came up once in a blue moon. I mean, this is MN, we must be in the Guinness book of records for live bait use.

What would happen to all those red hooks we've been programmed to buy lately? I'm guessing the majority of anglers would start to get all surly and such if they weren't allowed the tradition of live bait fishing.

So much for riding my fat tire bike down by the MN River anymore to try and catch creek chubs. Not to mention, I'd have to search out some moose drool to rub on my crankbaits while fishing the Boundary Waters, anything for that scented edge us non-bait anglers would need in the future.

All I can do is shake my head, stare at the heavens and hope that the suns corona doesn't burn my eyes out. With all the new castles being built on our waterways, the average fisherman is sure to suffer even more down the line, and that's not even including this live bait controversy.

Maybe we can have some sort of live bait summit? Where we can spout the positive virtues of Americas live bait history, and do it in such a way that even Sam Adams would be proud. So what's it going to be, are we to remain Minnesota manly men, or become St. Pauli girls?????

I should've known better than to try this in Silly Town. laugh

At least someone got it. wink

Quetico....I'm somewhat disappointed in you, Mr. Beer Snob. smile

Originally Posted By: Duffman

What would happen to all those red hooks we've been programmed to buy lately? I'm guessing the majority of anglers would start to get all surly and such if they weren't allowed the tradition of live bait fishing.

So much for riding my fat tire bike down by the MN River anymore to try and catch creek chubs. Not to mention, I'd have to search out some moose drool to rub on my crankbaits while fishing the Boundary Waters, anything for that scented edge us non-bait anglers would need in the future.

All I can do is shake my head, stare at the heavens and hope that the suns corona doesn't burn my eyes out. With all the new castles being built on our waterways, the average fisherman is sure to suffer even more down the line, and that's not even including this live bait controversy.

Maybe we can have some sort of live bait summit? Where we can spout the positive virtues of Americas live bait history, and do it in such a way that even Sam Adams would be proud. So what's it going to be, are we to remain Minnesota manly men, or become St. Pauli girls?????

I should've known better than to try this in Silly Town. laugh

At least someone got it. wink

Quetico....I'm somewhat disappointed in you, Mr. Beer Snob. smile

Great, now I'm thirsty.

It's just like the fact you can't leaglly use a quick strike rig unless you put a spinner on it. Come on, if a guy is useing suckers or chubs for pike or muskies this is the best way to ensure a good release. Live bait if used correctly is NOT a killer, couple this with barbless hooks and an imediate hook set and your release rates can be just as high as with artificals. We do have to beware of VHS though, this virus could do allot of damage to our fishery. This is why bait from other states are banned and we have the shortages from time to time.

Well, this will be my starting point in responses to Dennis Anderson's artical. I intend to go on a letter writting campaign to my fellow bait retailers, wholesalers, tackle suppliers, MNDNR, legislators, and of course Dennis Anderson.

It is so true that the corporate tackle industry is lobbying to control live bait distribution to open markets and change the mindset of fishing people. I must say the artificials have a time and a place where they out proform live bait but why is one product called the Mimic Minnow. Doesn't "mimic" mean to imitate? I was also taken aback when one of my suppliers/ manufactures made the statement that "someday, soft plastics might overtake live bait" to me that sounds as if his product will be directly competing with the products of every bait retailer/wholesaler in the state. Don't get me wrong I am very concerned with all the invasive speicies out there, but where are they coming from, I'd say a great percentage of them have been dumped out of the bilges of vessels in Duluth and the Mississippi waterway, not from the minnow buckets of fishing people. I know I'll get in trouble with this next comment, but when the overseers namely the MNDNR, in 2008, stocked a bank executives pond, in Cloquet, with 2000 rainbow trout from Wisconsin, that were infected with IMP virus which had never been found in Minnesota and is known to kill trout and salmon, this gets me a little riled. This pond has a tributary that flows into Lake Superior and what really burns me is not only did our tax dollars pay to kill these fish and restock this muckity mucks pond with Minnesota raised trout but we had fisheries people out there filleting fish for this guy. This past winters shortage of golden shiners had alot to do with the lack of emerald shiners that were missing last fall in the Rainy River and trapping local golden shiners when we have a winter like we had is next to impossible so all the early fishing folks pretty much decimated the populations. The minnows that we would be importing would be from fish farms that have been tested and retested for invasive hitch hikers and would be a fraction of the total minnow sales in the state why would we pay such high prices for imported minnows when the local bait is avalible other than to fill the voids. Bait dealers across the state are a tough breed and are far from dead. Excuse me I have to go scoop some shiners for some happy fishing folks.

There needs to be sensible regulations. I.E. don't bring bait from the southern US to northern MN and let the rusties populate all of the lakes. But these legislators are forgetting that some of the nasty stuff is spread from lake to lake by birds and water movement, not people.

Steve

Absolutely. Keep putting Democrats in power and there is no doubt that there will be no live bait allowed ever.