• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfishing Boats

Surreal Deal

Jimbuck,

I'd like to see a photo of that!

By the way, just in case anyone is wondering, here's mine:

2736301388_5fff1ae487.jpg

It ain't much to look at, but I look at it as a clean canvas to paint on. I have some more photos of my (often) slow-going restoration on my flickr page. Right now it is a basically stock 1972 Lund S-16.

So far all I've really done is clean it out, re-stain the benches and fix the bow light. I'm comfortable with it on any lake but I'm looking to try the river this year and am asking any questions I can think of to make my first outing a success.

Based on what I've read so far I think I could go out and take my lumps already, as long as I recognize my limitations when it comes to not being out after dark or hanging around locks and waiting for them to open (I don't plan on doing either until I have a decent spotlight and a radio).

The rest I think I'll have to discover for myself in my shakedown voyage(s).

Still, anybody who wants to post a picture (or Pictures) of their boat, I am really interested to see how the catfishermen out there have set theirs up.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to jump on Shacks toes here. But I have info that might be of interest.

I use a hand held radio in my boat. That was what you were hearing in that video.

The radios are very helpful in contacting other boats/barges and communicating with Lock and Dams.

yes the the locks have a bell/rope. But...... its nice to know when the next barge is locking through so you don't get caught waiting........

Yep, LFC is the man when it comes to to VHF radio use on the river wink. If it was not for him, I would have never been using a radio down on the river.

Nope, I have only a hand held with a stationary mount on top of the dash. I had one mounted under the dash for Mille Lacs and used a railing mount 6' ant., but both of them are up in my ice house on Mille Lacs. Since I have been pretty much only on the river the last three years when I get out, I figured what was the use of driving up and getting out of the fish house. That was until I read LFC post about how he has been using it on the river and the rest is history. Always monitor channel 16.

My cheap handheld I bought does me just fine. I know when a barge is coming before I can see and this is enough for me.

I run an 8' antenna on my 16' tiller and don't see it as an overkill. I think antennas are the one area that you should not be cheap about. Whats the use of a VHF radio if you can't communicate or listen? A larger antenna puts your signal higher above the horizon line, giving more distance to your signal. If looks are what your after, throw some 12' double whips on there and let er' buck.

On a lake I agree, on the river with very close shore lines, bends and by the city's the interference of other junk I am not sure the bigger ant. and radios do you any good. Most places on the river you can only see down a mile or two both ways and then it turns and then turns again. I feel all you need if you are just on the river is a cheaper good handheld. Now on an open lake like Mille Lacs, yes the power and height is needed IMO.

Surreal Deal, nice set-up smile

Thanks Shack,

It was my dad's boat, so it's been in my family for two generations now.

Dad didn't do much with it except to wire it for lights. It survived a big storm up in Cass county back in the 90's where it was picked up off a boat lift and deposited in the lake - sans plug - and obviously swamped. It stayed afloat (Yay closed-cell foam!) and ended up under some guy's dock, which is why the motor cowl is so scuffed up.

Like I said it isn't much to look at, but what I wouldn't give to know how many fish we've pulled into that boat over the years! smile

lol Nothin like attaching lightening rods to your boat. :P

my thoughts exactly I think the hand held is do-able for me..and besides the 7 and 8 foot graffite sticks in the air. I really dont need more to attract lightning.

Between the possibility of becoming a lightening rod and the menace of overhanging trees, I think I will go with a hand held when I do buy one, so thanks for that advice, guys!

On the whole lightening rod/overhanging trees angle, has anyone here have any horror stories about storing their rods vertically?

I have a Uniden handheld for the kickboat and can reach folks 8-10 miles away no problem on the LOTW. Probably further than that when I think about it... Warroad area to 16mile reef is 16 miles!

My current questions are:

1.) For those of you who run the river alone and at night, are you using a fixed mount spot (or some other concoction)on the front of your boat like Shackbash, or are you running blind?

2.) How is vertical rod storage working out for those of you that do it? In the MN River forum there was talk of a low-hanging utility line that could have caught a vertical rod before it was fixed. There was a valid point brought up in this thread earlier re: overhanging trees when we were talking about VHF antennae.

Thanks guys - I can see that a lot of people are looking at this thread but not so many are commenting - please add your two cents!

Ya, fixed lights are pretty slick and just like I gave props to LFC for the marine radio tip, I have to give credit to Kyle B on the fixed headlights (saw them at the 2007 KOTC GT). Fixed headlights are great, but a hand held spot light is always ready and waiting.

Short of the situation Ed and others ran into down on the MN, the only other issue I have had running my poles vertical is when you are fishing river banks in high fast current. If you have rods sticking up, low hanging or fallen trees just down stream and the anchor lets go on ya eek Get those rods down quick! This happened to me about two years ago and I lost two brand new rods to the tree gods. Snapped about a foot and a half down from the tip. They where about $40.00 apiece medium action rods I just got at the Sportsman Show. Kind of ruined that trip (first one of that year), but my two fishing partners sure got a kick out of it grin.

Also I have not lost one yet but have thought about this happening. If you use them for big cat poles and for some reason have them in the holder while at home, be sure not to back the boat into the garage with out taking them down wink

I like that your boat Ed. Very cool!

I have had a couple of harrowing experiences floating the Rum in a canoe where I got too close to overhanging fallen trees. I learned (1)to always go bow first, and (2) always sit in the stern! smirk

Re: spot lights I think I'll be going with a hand held (and a first mate to operate it for me)

I prefer to run my own spotlight as whoever else is in the boat usually doesn't know what I want illuminated. They'll be shining the outside bank on an outside bend when what I really want to see is the inside corner and how far the sandbar is sticking out type a deal.

My boat is console steering and I can run the wheel, throttle, and spotlight just fine. I'm rarely travelling faster than 20mph at night so if something does come up, just dump the throttle fast and you'll be stopped quickly.

As for vertical rod storage, never had a problem. Even with 9 footers. Only time rods become a problem is anchoring near shore in high water when you want to tie off to an overhanging tree. Just lay the rods down when you motor in to grab the tree, really no big deal.

I did hear a story about WWG, a low hanging limb near shore, a RiverPro moving at speed, and some broken rods once but as long as you aren't travelling fast near shore, you won't have a problem.

I like fixed lights for running, and a handheld spotlight for lighting up any corners or areas that you can't steer the lights toward. This is true for both my console-steer boat and in my tiller. You can see my lights mounted here.

IMG_0038.JPG

The lights are mounted to a 2x10 that I have mounted to a quick-release bracket that fits my minn-kota trolling motor mount, so they're removable (I don't use the bow mount on the river). They're just cheapo HID rechargeable spotlights that I ripped the 12 volt batteries out of and wired directly to my 12 volt battery.

I like vertical rod holders as well while in transit. In the crestliner I have a little 10-rod holder that I made a couple years back. It's just a 2x4 mounted to a short piece of electrical conduit that fits into one of my seat bases, and on the 2x4 I mounted some pieces of PVC for holding rods vertically. You can see it in the back of the picture above (behind/above the bait cooler). In my other boat I have some of the vertical berkeley plastic deals.

I like fixed lights for running, and a handheld spotlight for lighting up any corners or areas that you can't steer the lights toward.

I have to agree with Brian on this one. The only thing you can add to that setup is a pair of fixed corner lights. I will post pics when I get them mounted next week.

I like the trolling motor mount idea.

One should always have a hand held or two in the boat.

Quote:
The only thing you can add to that setup is a pair of fixed corner lights.

Now that sounds cool grin Pics would be great CF when they get mounted.

I do not think you can see it in those image of my boat in this thread, but I also have a remote motorized spotlight on the bow next to the trolling motor and the one headlight. It comes in handy at times, but the quick twist of the wrist can not be beet when it comes to running around the 20mph mark at night wink

Quote:
The only thing you can add to that setup is a pair of fixed corner lights.

Now that sounds cool grin Pics would be great CF when they get mounted.

I do not think you can see it in those image of my boat in this thread, but I also have a remote motorized spotlight on the bow next to the trolling motor and the one headlight. It comes in handy at times, but the quick twist of the wrist can not be beet when it comes to running around the 20mph mark at night wink

Sounds like someone is spoiled laugh

Sounds like someone is spoiled laugh

Nope, more proud than anything. wink

You do not even know how much blood, sweat and a tear or two I have put into this boat. grin I look back and wonder why, but it is what I have for right now.

Besides the basics like flooring, carpeting, transom upgrade, motor rebuild and painting, most all other upgrades have been done since I started hanging around this forum and learning from all the others. Almost any addition to my boat since signing up to FM can be connected/traced back to someone or some post in this forum. No matter how minute, people pick up on things wink. I figure I would give back any info I can to help out others.

This is the only image I have of the boat before the redo was started. This was back in 1999:

3532939576_cda874bb4f_o.jpg

I still look back and wonder why grin The only reason I can come up with is it was the only boat I had at the time and fixing up things was my hobby. Plus this boat was given to me by an Uncle who was a major factor in me fishing when I was young. It was not running and in so much disrepair, he just gave it up. He did like the boat back when it was in good condition, but did not know how to keep a boat and let it sit for years outside when it died on him with out no cover.

I do think next year might hold a new boat and this one might be gone, but it is still a good old river boat for now grin

Wow thanks for that post and photo aanderud, that's what I'm talking about! Two custom mod's in one post, too.

There's a transient length of PVC that has been lurking in my garage that I have an eye on to make my own vertical storage. Your post encourages me. Thanks!

Shack, what is your boat missing that you'd move on to a different boat now that this one has every gizmo under the sun? confused