• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hunting question

glenn57

last time i was drawn for a license you could not hunt till dark. what kind of sucsess have people had hunting till dark? or for that matter seeing birds. see a lot of activity in the late afternoon 5-6pm. not much prior to dark. any thoughts?

I've seen a lot of birds in the afternoon and early evening. It'd be hard to compare statistics before and after the mid day closure being that the number of hunters has gone up so much in the past 25 years.

I think as the sun get close to the treetops on the horizon, they head back to the roost. But otherwise, they are pretty active, especially if its warm.

glenn driving to and from my jobs mostly in the afternoon then home in the evenings I have seen a lot of birds they were mostly in the feilds. monday about an hour before sunset I saw 25 birds in a disced up corn field and there was 5 gobblers struttin there stuff. a couple of days earlier I noticed only three birds in the same field only one tom. so its not out of the question to see birds in the afternoon just gotta be were they are.

We've had great luck hunting the evenings, in our area we know where they roost so we go in there about 3 hours before sunset and just wait it out, let out a few yelps about every 30 minutes, it's worked 3 years in a row, in fact tonight my son got one with a 10 inch beard and 22lbs, he really put on quite a show strutting around.