• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout Opener in Canada

Anybody heading up? We go every year with the kids. Last year the guy who was supposed to get us bait totally bailed on us leaving 9 people high and dry!! mad Could've at least lied to us, just said he didn't have time. Geez!

Already have bait (almost) in my hands for this year and am researching different methods. Hoping for a more successful trip. It's hard to keep boys interested when you're not catching anything for a full day.

Yes, we will be trying new spots and methods. I would have done it differently 2 years ago, but I'm not the only one making decisions. Still a good, fun trip with lots of memories. It seems the lake will be slow since no one else is heading up (at least from this site).

Tman2 - What lake are you headin up to? I have already had 2 groups up. The first group did decent, no big fish, but decent numbers. The 2nd group is still up the lake and will be coming out in a couple of days. The fishing will be picking up each day as it is usually best a few days after the ice is off the lake.

Superbee is right, It is usually the best about 7-10 days after ice out. Everyone likes to be up right after iceout, but it seems the groups coming up the second week after ice out really do well.

That being said, we had our first group come in yesterday afternoon. They unpacked and went out fishing right away, it didn't take them long to get on fish. They came in for a fresh trout dinner around 5pm and seemed very happy with the few hours they put in. They had a few keeps and let a couple go, so it sounded like a good first afternoon.

Tman2 - If you have another slow year and your group is looking for something new, just let me know. Our Trout fishery is awesome and I know you guys would be happy with the amount of trout you catch.

We'll be fishing Whitefish Bay.

Outfitter- Tempting offer, but the my buddy's cabin is on Sabaskong which helps keep the cost down. IF he didn't have the cabin, I wouldn't be able to go due to lack of funds.

Cold, windy, wet, snowy. Typical May trout fishing. We worked WFB hard for Thursday and a little bit Friday morning. We pulled the plug and went to a more "necked down" area and found fish right away. Glad we made the move. All in all slower fishing though. Had to work for 4 trout.

We didn't bother to go out on Saturday. We didn't think it would be fun to have 4 boys soaking wet even before we got to the spot in such cool temps. So,we only managed one day at it. We trolled a bunch, jigged a very little, and shore fished to no avail. I was disappointed until we talked with 4 indians at the portage and they blanked too. Too much weather change in my opinion and it made the trout tight lipped. We saw other boats trolling, but never saw anyone with a fish. I liked our spot, just not the results.