Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GBPackerNut

Gas Tank Size?

8 posts in this topic

16.5 foot alumacraft, Yamaha 40Hp four stroke.

Boat doesn't have a built in gas tank, what size should I look for?

I dont know? on the old boat a 3 gallon tank was plenty, but that was with a 2 stroke 25hp motor.

Thanks

Just go with a 6 gallon. I run a 25hp Johnson 2 stroke off of it, and it lasts a while.

Yeah Iwas figuring 6 gallon, but wasnt sure if that would be enough, I still have a 3 gallon tank I might bring with just in case. Nothing sucks more than running out of fuel and then spending 3 hours trolling back to the dock on the electrics.

LOL, My boat has a 55 gal tank...

You should be fine with a 6..as you said, you can always bring the 3 for back up!

If you have room, I would get a 9 or 12 gallon tank. I have a '93 Merc 60 (3 cylinder, carbed 2-stroke). I have a 6 gallon tank. Wish I could fit a bigger tank in, but I can run about 15 miles before I start to get nervous. I keep a spare 2 gallon tank onboard just in case.

I would think yours would get noticably better mileage. All depends how far you like to run with the boat, though.

LOL, My boat has a 55 gal tank...

LOL, I don't think you'd get very far with a 6 gallon tank, Deitz smile

Hey Dietz what is that you have in your hands? Looks like some sort of a carp??? LOL J/K Nice fish! My lund has a 45 gal tank and that will feed my 175 for 3-4 weekends of fishing.

Dietz, Let me guess.....You get about two hours at WOT on a full tank of gas? wink