• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mecr not pumping water

7outof10

Question

i got a 04 merc 75 4 stroke and its not pumping coolant water when it is running i do not know about about boat motors..... so i don't know where to start with this if there is any thing easy i can check my self before i take it to the shop ...any info would help thanks

5 answers to this question

Check the pee hole (telltale hole where water comes out on side) and make sure there are not spiders or bugs that clogged it up. That happens often, especially after sitting awhile.

5 years old, I think I would put a new water pump in just for routine maintenance. About an hour of time (two people helps) and $30-$50 in parts. Otherwise about $200-$250 to bring it in to shop and have them do it.

Good luck, but get it done asap if it isn't spiders - you can use a fine wire to clean it out.

Definitely check the telltale for debris, when you take off the cowl you can follow it around to the engine. Sometimes all you have to do is blow through it go get the crud out. If not, and your bold, try and suck it out! Our old 50 used to always pick up sand and get it stuck in there.

If you have a weed trimmer and have a spool of line for it just run it up the pee hole, in and out a few times, then start it up and see if it pees. Do you have it in the water or are you using muffs? If you have the muffs on it, make sure you have the water turned up enough that it can suck up enough of it. When I have the muffs on my 4-stroke I have to have the water turned on enough so that it is spraying out around the muffs before it will suck up enough water to pee. If that doesn't work, try BoxMN's advice.

All good advice up top. I'd start (if your using muffs) by cranking up the garden hose water and see. Then I'd do the "fishing" in the line itself. After that I'd assume your looking at a water pump.

If your not pumping enough water to cool it, it would probably be giving you a heat warning siren I would think?

I would guess you just have sand in the line. I fill mine with sand all the time loading the boat. I keep a bottom bouncer in the splashwell for this very reason. Slide it in and out a few times and that should do it.

You should probably put a new impeller in anyway though. They say you are supposed to every couple years or so.