Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Has the Census started????????

144 posts in this topic

I am mad as HE!! Just had a guy drive up into my driveway and begin punching stuff into a PDA. (he didn't even get out of the car) I run out to ask him what he is doing, he says, "I work for the census beaureau and we are verifying addresses." I asked him if he has yet to find one that the fire number does not match the address. (I live in the country with a fairly long driveway). He replies "No". I asked him if he was entering gps co-ordinates. He says "Yes, were doing it to every address" I told him he can do it from the end of my driveway and not my front door. To which he asks if I was serious. I said yes, I want him to re do it. He quickly droive away. This is going a bit too far if you ask me, our Gov't is getting too big!

The last census we had plastic bags with the census material in them hanging on the door knobs to our campers and the deer shack on our land....they didn't want to miss anybody. By the way, the campers are 20'ers and the deer shack at the time was 8x12. crazy

The lady showed up with her device, and was punching in our address as she stood beneath the picture window at our place.

"Are you planning on launching a cruise missile through that window or what??" I asked.

She was concerned that someone might live in the lawn shed, but I informed her that the only other occupied structure was the doghouse - which usually held a single black lab, but I was sometimes forced to join him.

She was confused.

Wow, I guess everyone has their own opinion. The census worker showed up at our house the other day...knocked on the door and told me what she was doing. I couldn't care less if she was at the house or drive way. I thought it was nice she explained what she was doing. She also had a big sign in the rear side window of her car that clearly said she worked for the census bureau. She said some people have come storming out of their homes threatening to shoot her. Life is way to short to get so worked up to threaten to kill a census worker.

I am mad as HE!! Just had a guy drive up into my driveway and begin punching stuff into a PDA. (he didn't even get out of the car) I run out to ask him what he is doing, he says, "I work for the census beaureau and we are verifying addresses." I asked him if he has yet to find one that the fire number does not match the address. (I live in the country with a fairly long driveway). He replies "No". I asked him if he was entering gps co-ordinates. He says "Yes, were doing it to every address" I told him he can do it from the end of my driveway and not my front door. To which he asks if I was serious. I said yes, I want him to re do it. He quickly droive away. This is going a bit too far if you ask me, our Gov't is getting too big!

You must be a real treat IRL. There's no need to hassle some grunt just doing their job.

What are your GPS coords? I am sending some help your way.

wahmbulance-736464.jpg

They do that so the aliens can find you. jk

The census workers are good people just doing there job, I did it once myself. I met all "kinds" of people. Luckly no one ever pulled a gun on me, I couldn't tell anyone what they were doing/hiding even if I wanted too.

Good one, Rob! gringrin

I don't see what the big deal is, either. When the census worker was wandering around our front yard scratching her head (we live in an area that is all goofed up on their current maps GPS-wise) I didn't see or hear a single black helicopter circling. Probably I've drunk too much of that Kool Aid over the years. winkwink

I'm on board with Wade J on this one...If they would at least come up to the door, Knock and explain whats going on that would help! If the goverment gets to much bigger though, they'll just come in and ask for "do you have your papers comrade?"....no thanks... Be carefull who we ellect...

I agree. There is no reason to have each house GPS'd and if anything it's no less than invasion of privacy. The emergency responder excuse is pure [PoorWordUsage]. They already used reason that to put the signs at the driveway but now apparently those weren't good enough. Now our doorstep is a waypoint in the government's big Lowrance H2O. Why don't they just put a chip in our heads so they know where we are at all times....oh wait, that's the next step.

Some people value their privacy, and other's should respect that.

Never said I pulled a gun...nor do I live in an area where they could stand out front on the sidewalk. I live WAY out in the country...for a reason. I wanted to be left alone. I want my chance to life a peaceful life and be left alone. Woulda been a bit different had the guy nocked on the door and explained what he was doing...why do they feel the need to be so sneaky about it.

Bet some of you would scream bloody murder if they wiretapped your phones without asking.

I defended every one of your rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Now I would like to enjoy mine.

In the words of a fellow sailor still serving. "I am the freedom-loving, pro-life, constitution-supporting patriot and veteran Homeland Security warned you about"

Never said you did either. Just commenting on what cliffy said.

Bet some of you would scream bloody murder if they wiretapped your phones without asking.

Well, thanks to the last administration, thay can wiretap your phone without asking. wink

Do you really think the gov't needs to send a census bureau worker out to your house to know the GPS coords of your house? With your name, $19.95 to some sort of record search site on the internet, and google earth I could do it myself.

I just think that there are more important things to worry about than a census worker ruining your right to be left alone for a few minutes every 10 years.

A census worker in your driveway for 5 minutes = wiretapping your phone.... right on.

Many of the existing GPS coords are not accurate. The census worker who was GPSing our house said her current data indicated our house should have been three blocks away. She said there were a bunch of houses in the neighborhood like that.

Kidd, you have never served then, or understood your rights that you were given from US serving!

Kidd, you have never served then, or understood your rights that you were given from US serving!

???????????????????

Thanks to the last admin. they can listen to us all????? That would be NO.. unless the only thing you bank your info on is NPR... When you sign on the line you give your self to serve who ever is the "commander" ie..military.. Did Bush hose things up... OH YA... But even the new admin is backing up on what they wanted the "Public to know".. if someone is listening to ALL phones and e-mails-good.. If you are not breaking the law-Great-NO worries..to blame a commander in chief is not right..none of us know why we were sent to what ever to do what ever, we just went. Thats serving and Faith that we all can go to bed tonight without a worry! Not pin pointing a polocy that may disturb who ever. but knowing it was for our GOOD!!

I'm a proud veteran of 3 tours in the Nam and I too live out in the country by choice and our lake trailer is equally out of the way. Both have locked gates with buzzers, so I can choose who to let onto my lands. Our signs say " Welcome by invite only" and Puddles the shepard keeps a vigilant eye.

I want to be counted by the cenus bureau as that determines the tax base, but they can count from the end of my driveway.

Thanks to the last admin. they can listen to us all????? That would be NO.

Wade J and Cast A Way,my grand father still lies in France and my Father still hates his chair from 1970..... 22% of my right hand still lies in the sand from 1989.. You guys will ALWAYS be welcome on my boat... Always...

4 years ago I was sitting at home just after dinner on a beautiful spring evening. One of those days when life is great. There was a knock at the door. I answered it, and it was the census bureau. She said that she needed to take about 30 minutes of my time for something called the American Community Survey. I had never heard of this before. I will be da#### if I am going to answer 30 minutes of questions from the gov't regarding something I never heard of. She did leave me a pamphlet. They should have sent me something in the mail first. I called them up and gave them a piece of my mind. If they are not going to play by their rules I am not going to answer the questions. In my opinion all they need to know is that me and the dog live there. They don't need to know how many toilets I have or anything like that.

So it would seem that some of you advocate the "census beaureau" GPSing our front doors, but think the wire tapping of phones and monitoring of emails is bad. Same big Gov't, different administrations. Most assuredly different motives....hhmmmm

Were talking apples and apples...I accept they may be listening to my phone...or reading my e-mails, but that is all done from afar. Its called national security. I however do not fear that since I am not talking to ragheeb or osama. I am not emailing achmedenajhad or kim jong il. On the other hand, My personal "space" and privacy are another thing altogether. There is no need to gps my front door just to count how many people live in my dwelling. Walk up, knock on the door, Identify yourself, provide some credentials and I will answer your quesions for the census but having the gps numbers entered precisly for my front steps is not needed for which that they claim it is for.

Fins, Castaway, thank you and your family for your service. That open boat seat is a two way street shipmates.