• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where do you point your rod tip?

When retrieving large bladed bucktails/spinners do you point your rod tip at the bait or not (assuming a straight retrieve)? And would this be the same for any lure that you execute a straight retrieve on it? I recall reading a post somewhere that gave a tip to point it at the bucktails on the retrieve.

I gave this a try just to do a quick experiment, and found that it does seem to make the retieve of a large bucktail (D10/D8) easier when the tip is pointed at the lure. Would this cause additional or less stress on the reel or anyother negative effects?

Before getting into musky fishing, I never really worried about it, but with the hard pulling Musky sized baits, any little bit helps.

I think if u reel with rod down or not poiint at hard pullin bucktail it would put more stress on reel than point to bucktails. I point my rod to bucktails and propeller baits. Hope this help.

always at the bait, except for jerkbaits and dawgs - keeps you in position to set the hook, takes the stress off yourself and puts it on your reel, makes a big difference, add weight to your bucktails for burning if they won't stay in the water

Ther only reason i would think not to is the hook set. i like to reel pulling the tip to my right side. If a muskie grabs the lure away from the boat, having the tip to the side or down will put the impact into the rod and not straight into the reel.