Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Yes another vexilar question

I have owned my vexilar for about 4 years now and it has never failed me yet.I use it every weekend Jan. thru April.Correct me if I,m wrong but doesn't the brushes or something need to be serviced?? and when should I have this done ? I do not want to be caught in the middle of the season and have to send the unit back to Vexilar. Thanks

If your display is dim or cuts out you may need to get it reworked? If your concerned call the Vexilar service folks and they will be glad to see if you need service.

They can get dirty but be VERY cautious about cleaning them, check with Vexilar on how to do it.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
backwtr1@msn.com
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

As the previous post stated don't fix it if ain't broke. If you feel you need to it's not that hard. I know several people who have cleaned/replaced brushes. Go to the vexlar web site they can help you.

I agree with the above posters, the Vex is built to perform and to last. It will let you know when it needs servicing, if in doubt, go ahead and have the rework done to insure that you will not have a problem, all I can say is that it depends on the total number of hours that it has run, under "normal" use, the vex will run for many years with nothing but battery charges.

If it aint broke, leave it alone. I have one thats 10 years old and gets used 3-5 days a week atleast, all winter, just last year I took it apart and cleaned the inside of the lens. It had a black like soot on it(brush dust). I cleand it up and the readout did become clearer.....

I use my Vexilar almost everyday, year round through -25 degrees to sitting in the sun in the boat on the hottest darn day there could be. In my experience, the on/off switch wears out before the brushes do.

I highly doubt your until will suddenly "go bad" like a computer part in an automobile. Then again I may have just junxed myself.

PCG

You wanna talk about a rugged unit? I have a coupla stories for you......A few winters ago, I was up Nort' and I borrowed my brother (The Gissert's) sled and his vex and headed to a known good crappie hole. After I was done fishing, I headed back pulling a sled behind the machine. I hit a bump going about 40 and the entire contents of the sled flew out and onto the ice. It was pretty dang cold and that vex shattered into about six or eight pieces. I said to myself-"Looks like I'm finally going to buy one of these.".....Well, after all of the parts warmed up and dried off, I began to re-assemble that vex piece by broken piece with super glue. To this day, my brother still uses that unit. Believe it or not-this really happened!.......You aughta see my vex. One time, it got too close to the sunflower in the trap. Before I noticed it, there was a big blister growing right out of the side of the round part you look through. I thought I had ruined it for good. Once it cooled, it looked like a big old zit. So when I got home, I painted the boil pink and put a white spot on the center. Gave it personality. A vexilar in puberty. Finally got tired of looking at it so I surgically removed the boil and wrapped it with tape. Now the coffee can fits more snugly and the unit never missed a beat...And now, after I oversprayed deep woods off all over it in the boat, it has white specks all over it. But you can still tell it's a Vexilar!..........T

Something for the "Do It Yourselfers"

Vexilar just made available a Brush Replacement Kit for the FL-8 units. This kit contains everything you need to replace a worn set of brushes.

Including the brush assembly, slip ring contacts, 1.5 mm allen driver,and complete instructions. The cost of the kit is $15.00, plus shipping.

Before you rip open your FL-8, you need to know if you're capable of doing circuit board soldering work.

There is a fair amount of soldering required. You can get a kit at Vexilar Direct, under accessories. Also in this section, we have added those hard to find items like replacement float, stoppers, and support arms.

Vexilar Direct: http://www.vexilar.com/direct/direct.html

*New 12 Degree Transducers*

The new FL-18 are now coming standard with our new 12 degree Ice-Ducer.

This new beam angle is also available in the puck and transom mount transducers. One advantage of the new beam is that it has a tighter area of coverage than the 19 degree, which allows you to see your bait and fish closer to the bottom. Also, it has the advantage over the 9 degree that you have more area of coverage so you won't miss as many suspended fish and jigging spoons won't shoot out of the cone as much.

Plus, the fish that approaches your bait will have more time to change from color to color. The 12 degree transducers are available separately and will plug right in to your older FL-8 or FL-8SLT.

Vexilar Transducers - http://www.vexilar.com/xdcrs.html

Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
backwtr1@msn.com
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-26-2002).]

TBone, remind me not to loan you my stuff! smile.gif

I agree with TBone about the ruggedness of the unit. I have had mine about 9 years and although I try to take good care of it, it gets very dusty in the offseason, sits in the cold truck most of the winter when I'm not fishing, frequently gets wet and banged around and I've never had a problem. It doesn't show any signs of needing service yet. (PCG, I also hope I didn't jinx myself either.)

T-Bone -

LOL! My ears were burning. I just got back from Vexilar and picked up a whole new front panel assembly for my vex.

The viewing area had a small crack, and it was really getting hard to clean. It was allowing moisture in the unit, so I needed to stop that. I had just about got it prepped for an epoxy repair, when I wanted to get it just a bit cleaner. I grabbed for the ISO alcohol to get a bit more dust out, and grabbed the MEK by mistake. DOHHHH!!! That fogged up the whole works, and wiped all the colors off the sticker in the center.

Soooo, off I trundled to the Vexilar factory.

That incident of the bouncing vex happened about five or six years ago. Since you put it back together, I have lost count of the number of rough snomobile trips that thing has endured on LOW and Ottertail. That thing has taken more abuse than I thought was possible.

BTW, the folks at Vexilar have first rate customer service, and were very helpful and friendly.

Has anyone used the magnifying protective lense you can get to slip on the viewing part of the vex? I was thinking of getting one for mine. I was hoping that it would protect it more than magnify it. I was wondering if it magnifys it too much making it to hard to read.

Duffman, I have used the mag shield and found it works as long as you are sheltered from the sun, it tends to cause glare, I will use it in the fish trap when I can close it up, but It does help under the right conditions.

Good fishin