• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab, dry skin

My vizlsa pup has a little dry skin, nothing major but just a little itchy with some minor flaking.

The vet said a little vegetable oil mixed in his food can help. My wife mixed it so I'm not sure how much she used. Maybe 1 table spoon for 3/4 cup of food.

The vet did warm us about the possible side effect of softer/runny turds. I did notice a small effect after his first or second dose. Not terrible yet but I'll probably cut back a little.

I would start giving the dog a good quality fish oil supplement. No offense to nofish, but vegetable oil would be the last thing I would be giving my dog and not because of softer stools. Vegetable oil (Omega 6's to more exact) can be pro-inflamatory and not something you would want. Ideally you want the proper ratio of Omega 6 : Omego 3's. Too much Omega 6 and you may not be helping your dogs joints at all.

I second giving your dog a fish oil supplement (wild canine eat fish, but do not eat vegetables); also when I give my dog a bath I have used a product called efa HyLyt that has fatty acids to replenish the epidermal barrier and seems to help flaking or scaling.

Also brush your dog to get rid of the old coat that might be shedding.