• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Bird (no pic)

Finns

What bird might I have seen at the sunflower feeder? Black head, red throat, white breast, black wings. Couldn't see the rest of the body as it flew away. Locale is about 2 miles from Missouri River here in St. Joseph, Mo.

Got rid of a bunch of cats last week and birds seem to feel safe to come around.

Tried to look it up on the net but got a headache from all the possibilities (that didn't match).

Thanks in advance.

Leechbait hit it!!! First time I've seen this one! Saw it again just now and it has the white splotches on the wings that I didn't see before.

Thanks for the help on a new find for me.

~Sue slithers under the door~ humiliated

Nothing to be humiliated by smile but I think everyone knows a woodpecker when they see one, that's why I GUESSED with the grossbeak. laugh Well soon enough they'll be up my way. I haven't seen anything yet except the purple finches!!!

Wife still wonders where the red belly is on a Red Bellied Woodpecker blush .

LOL, I've wondered that myself! We have a huge catelpa tree and as soon as it starts to bud the grosbeaks will be here so I hope to get some pics soon. they bud late.