• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evenrude outboard?

Thunderman

Question

Hey guys 1988 evenrude v6 outboard when the motar is idleing looks like I am loseing raw fuel out the exhaust ports.Checked the new plugs I have on one side no carbon on the top plug the one down from that has some carbon and the bottom is where the carbon looks good.This is on both sides this is oil injected any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Sounds like the carb is leaking it past and letting it run into the exhaust. How does it run? If you were able to run it hard to clean it out that might help but you might want to see if there is a check valve or have the carb checked out.

I have a Johnson 115 (1995) and had similar problem. It has plastic carb floats and I must of had water in one over winter. It has a plug which blows out on bottom of the float so it does not break the casing of the carb. Engine ran well but had constant fuel on water behind the boat. This fuel did not come out exhaust ports though.

Take the air box off the front of the engine so you can see in the carb throats. Then squeeze the primer bulb, if you see fuel running out the throat of one of the carbs, you have a stuck float/ needle and seat. Try tapping on the bowl of that carb with the handle of a screw driver. Lightly.... IF that doesn't free it up, take it to someone who can clean the carb.