• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

puttin out the feeders

glenn57

Glenn, just put them out on fishing opener/Mother's Day weekend or the day before you leave for fishing opener. That should be easy to remember. You could also choose May Day on May 1. smilesmile

Hummers were already spotted in Duluth-Superior on May 2 and a bit farther northwest on May 5, and a week earlier in southern Minnesota, so Mother's Day may seem late, but those first sightings are of early birds (if you'll pardon the pun), and the migration really ramps up a bit later.

There's a great map online that shows when birds are first seen this spring. Just do a search for hummingbird migration map.

Hope this helps. Last year the Orioles came in May 1st and the Hummers about a week later. I put out the feeders about a week earlier the next year. Your seldom too early because the earlier you put out your feeders, the longer the syrup keeps. Hot weather really turns your feed into vinegar, plus by that time your feeder needs a good cleaning to prevent disease.

I use a homemade recipe for food that works for both Hummers and Oriole's. It's just 1 cup sugar to 6 cups boiling water. If your feeder is clear, for Hummers you just put a drop of red food coloring in it. For Orioles it's 1 drop red and 6 drops yellow to make it orange.

No shortage of either spieces around here.

Mike

I don't have a special date. I just listen for the first oriole song, then out they go. I always start with just orange halves. After a couple days I add the grape jelly. Sometimes I progress to the syrup, sometimes not. Though orioles stay in the area all summer, I have never been able to entice them to the yard for more than a couple weeks.

Normally I put out an oriole nectar feeder the last week or so in April and along with it a hummingbird feeder. The first male oriole showed up late this afternoon as I was gawking out the window. Some years it has been late April, some years May. I use a 4:1 water to sugar ratio. Gotta support my beet growing buddies. Out of sheer laziness, I no longer color the mix. The orioles stay all summer, frequently into early September. There is a lull in July/August sometimes when they're rearing their young but understand their diet changes while feeding them so may try the mealworm thing now that I've found a readily available source.