• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

For our Photo Experts, Is it possible?

Ok I have a cannon A610, at least without having it here in my lap, I think thats what it is.. Anyway, point and shoot.. takes decent pictures..

so, here is my question.. is it possible to take the cool pitcs where you get the very cool bokah(Or however you all spell it, the blurred background that frames the subject) with a point and shoot?

Thanks.

I believe the only way to get this effect with a P & S, is by photoshopping. Even wide open, these cameras have too wide of a field of view. Either that, or the subject would have to be one heck of a long ways from the background.

I have an old Canon Powershot G2 and can play around with it and get decent bokeh with it. One thing that helps is focusing on an object close to the camera with the objects in the background a great distance away. Macro shots with a point and shoot come to mind.

I have a Panasonic FZ8 that I mess around with a bit. The only way to get decent bokeh is to zoom all the way out to 12x and get as close to the subject as you can and still focus, about 3ft away. Even then it's not very good.

It probably wouldn't work on your camera at all since it's only 4x zoom. Point and shoot cameras have sensors far (at least 10 times) smaller than DSLR cameras. That's why they can almost always get everything in frame in clean focus. It's also why you can't get a decent bokeh shot.

DD, if at 4x your subject is as close to the camera as possible (if you have a macro setting as mentioned that will help) and your background far away, you still may be able to achieve some nice bokeh. One key in that situation would be to find a background that's fairly uniform and is not heavy with light/shadow. The less contrast and texture the BG has, the more likely you'll be able to get the bokeh you want, even at 4x. It's possible, but not easy.

Time for a new point and shoot? smilesmile