• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile Trailer Maintenance Question

duck2

Hello. I have a question regarding the care of my wooden deck on my double wide snowmobile trailer. Because it is so wide and takes up so much garage space, I store it outside all summer. Is there any product I should use on the wooden deck to preserve its life?

Thanks

i know people that store theres outside year around without doing anything to the wood deck. id say just leave it its only like 2 sheets of plywood anyway which is cheap.

We would put an occassional coating of Thompsons Water Seal on my folks treated deck, and it is going on like 25 years and still looks pretty decent. I know it is not good for cedar, but on treated it makes the water bead up and roll off pretty good. I put new stairs going down to the lake, and I will be hitting that with Thompson's (or some other sealer) this year sometime. I think it is worth it.

Quote:
Is there any product I should use on the wooden deck to preserve its life?

A $10.00 tarp does wonders as far as keeping the wood looking good and lasting longer.

I would throw the spare tire or something right in the middle to keep the tarp off the bed of the trailer.

If you're that concerned about it I'd paint it. I would not use a wood treatment though. Some of that stuff gets slick when wet or snowy. For what it's worth I've had my trailer stored outside for 10 years and the deck is still fine.