Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duck2

Snowmobile Trailer Maintenance Question

8 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a question regarding the care of my wooden deck on my double wide snowmobile trailer. Because it is so wide and takes up so much garage space, I store it outside all summer. Is there any product I should use on the wooden deck to preserve its life?

Thanks

i know people that store theres outside year around without doing anything to the wood deck. id say just leave it its only like 2 sheets of plywood anyway which is cheap.

i've had mine outside since i got it in 01 and the deck is just starting to show some wear. I will have to replace it in a year or two

We would put an occassional coating of Thompsons Water Seal on my folks treated deck, and it is going on like 25 years and still looks pretty decent. I know it is not good for cedar, but on treated it makes the water bead up and roll off pretty good. I put new stairs going down to the lake, and I will be hitting that with Thompson's (or some other sealer) this year sometime. I think it is worth it.

We painted the deck on our snowmobile trailer. Had it since 02 its holding up well. But it wont last forever.

Quote:
Is there any product I should use on the wooden deck to preserve its life?

A $10.00 tarp does wonders as far as keeping the wood looking good and lasting longer.

I would throw the spare tire or something right in the middle to keep the tarp off the bed of the trailer.

If you're that concerned about it I'd paint it. I would not use a wood treatment though. Some of that stuff gets slick when wet or snowy. For what it's worth I've had my trailer stored outside for 10 years and the deck is still fine.

I have always painted mine with exterior primer and then exterior paint it really does help to preserve the deck from the sun and rain. Always run guides for your skis of course...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• There's a live rescue going on in Wis Como Lake I think it was right now for a guy that went through but it doesn't look good as they just sent the divers down.   WISN 12 NEWS
    • Ho Ho....   or       Use the fake news thing as a way to censor speech not acceptable to the left.  Yah sure. 
    • Pen raised walleye?   Sounds like fake news.   Lots of Canadian walleye but I think it is netted from wild in places like Lake Winnipeg or Red Lake and so on.   Must be Putin trying to discredit the Canadian Walleye providers. 
    • Quick question. On the striker models they have a setting called the A-scope. It basically widens the right hand part of the screen where it starts so that it works kinda like a showdown at the beginning of the graph which I like on the ice.  Can you check and see if that unit has that?  
    • 5 x 5 will be nor problem for one guy and gear.  I speared out of a two man flip over otter sled for several years and had not problem.  Use to spear out of a 4 x 6 permanent and that is less sq foot than the 5 x 5 hub.  It is nice to have a large hole and yes it lets in more light in those low light conditions but I always used a 3 x 2 spear hole and never had any issues.  It worked, could it be better?  Of course but you just have to figure out what is right for you.  Get a 5 x 5 foot piece of cardboard draw out your hole on it, set up your chair and put all your gear on it and then sit down.  This is probably the closest way to experiencing it prior to doing so...... Good Luck 
    • I've seen walleye at grocery stores in the cities for a buck or two more than king crab.   Yeesh.
    • Well got the unit today first Impressions are I'm really happy with it...I like how the maps included have depth shading...The screen seems very nice...The only thing I don't like so far is the quick release bracket, I feel like I'm going to break it when I pop it off. The transducer is pretty darn huge, not sure if all side imaging ducers are like that or not...Overall very happy for $499, cant wait to get it on the water.
    • Hey you guys!...had to fly into Phoenix couple days ago to check on some golf stuff and while wandering through a big supermarket saw a display of Canadian pen-raised walleye.  It was 18.99 a POUND.   Can you believe that!?  A stinkin'  little 16 ounces of walleye for THAT much money. If a guy could put up with all that sloppy, soft wiggle-wiggle of a battle to boat one a guy could make a pile of money catching them.  Personally,  I'd fall asleep in a walleye hot bite.
    • What's kind of interesting is there were a few crab apples by my old work and they would eat some in the fall. But in the spring when they must get just ripe enough. It would be a pile on of Robins, Blue Jays, Squirrels and they would clean the trees in a few days. Like a good wine they must know when its time!
  • Our Sponsors