• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey guys, I recently got the chance to purchase a discount Weatherby, and I'm thinking a 30-06 Springfield would be a good deer rifle for MN? Would it also work for Elk out in Wyoming? I realize those are two completely different situations, but I'm trying to find the best compromise. Other caliber selections? Also the prices would be $350-600, depending on if I went with the Valiant (think that's the name, something with a V) Predator or Deluxe. Anyways, I'm wondering if the rifle is worth the $, or I could get something better for the money? I gotta say, the guns LOOK great, lol.

I suspect you are talking about a Vanguard. They are nice rifles and you can get one with a certified MOA accuracy( less than 1 Inch group at 100 yds) for just a bit more money. The 30-06 will do fine on any animal in North America with the right bullet and you can get ammo virtually anywhere. I would try to get a lighter gun and not get a Predator(usually heavier barrels etc) Remember you have to carry it and Elk hunting is not a stationary sport. Spend as much on the optics as the gun and it will do you great.

Sounds good, so the firearm is worth the extra $ then? Compared to say a T3 Tica, or Remington 700, etc? Also I'll be mainly using it for deer hunting, but since if I go to Wyoming I'll need a firearm, I want to have one for that too.

Nothing wrong with the Tica or the Remington either. The Weatherby will tend to be more accurate than a Remington and I am not personally familiar with the T3 though others on the forum speak very highly of them. A lot comes down to individual likes and dislikes. How the gun fits you with length of pull and drop and how the trigger feels when you pull it. And the depth of your pocketbook. Just make sure you invest in quality optics. A 99 buck special doesn't compare with a 350 dollar leupold, Nikon or similar scope. Any good quality firearm with good optics in a caliber such as 30-06.270, 7mm etc will fill all your needs. You just have to vary the bullet to the type of animal. With all the advances in ammo in the last few years they have widened the capability of most calibers.

The whole point of a Weatherby was to take

advantage of the extra power that came in the

Weatherby shell cases. If it is a standard

case like the 30:06, then you gain nothing

over a similar caliber in other rifles.

I shoot a weatherby 300wsm and it is right on. My buddy shoots a weatherby 30/06 like the one you are describing and has killed elk everytime he hunts. It is a great rifle, the caliber has been around for a long time. Throw a good scope on it if allowed in MN and go for it. I will be using my 300 wsm this year on a cow elk hunt and my buddy has a late novemeber trophy bull hunt here in AZ. Good luck.