Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMF89

Weatherby?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I recently got the chance to purchase a discount Weatherby, and I'm thinking a 30-06 Springfield would be a good deer rifle for MN? Would it also work for Elk out in Wyoming? I realize those are two completely different situations, but I'm trying to find the best compromise. Other caliber selections? Also the prices would be $350-600, depending on if I went with the Valiant (think that's the name, something with a V) Predator or Deluxe. Anyways, I'm wondering if the rifle is worth the $, or I could get something better for the money? I gotta say, the guns LOOK great, lol.

I suspect you are talking about a Vanguard. They are nice rifles and you can get one with a certified MOA accuracy( less than 1 Inch group at 100 yds) for just a bit more money. The 30-06 will do fine on any animal in North America with the right bullet and you can get ammo virtually anywhere. I would try to get a lighter gun and not get a Predator(usually heavier barrels etc) Remember you have to carry it and Elk hunting is not a stationary sport. Spend as much on the optics as the gun and it will do you great.

Sounds good, so the firearm is worth the extra $ then? Compared to say a T3 Tica, or Remington 700, etc? Also I'll be mainly using it for deer hunting, but since if I go to Wyoming I'll need a firearm, I want to have one for that too.

I have the vanguard in the .300 win mag and it shoots dime size groups at 100 yards sweet shooter.

Nothing wrong with the Tica or the Remington either. The Weatherby will tend to be more accurate than a Remington and I am not personally familiar with the T3 though others on the forum speak very highly of them. A lot comes down to individual likes and dislikes. How the gun fits you with length of pull and drop and how the trigger feels when you pull it. And the depth of your pocketbook. Just make sure you invest in quality optics. A 99 buck special doesn't compare with a 350 dollar leupold, Nikon or similar scope. Any good quality firearm with good optics in a caliber such as 30-06.270, 7mm etc will fill all your needs. You just have to vary the bullet to the type of animal. With all the advances in ammo in the last few years they have widened the capability of most calibers.

The whole point of a Weatherby was to take

advantage of the extra power that came in the

Weatherby shell cases. If it is a standard

case like the 30:06, then you gain nothing

over a similar caliber in other rifles.

I shoot a weatherby 300wsm and it is right on. My buddy shoots a weatherby 30/06 like the one you are describing and has killed elk everytime he hunts. It is a great rifle, the caliber has been around for a long time. Throw a good scope on it if allowed in MN and go for it. I will be using my 300 wsm this year on a cow elk hunt and my buddy has a late novemeber trophy bull hunt here in AZ. Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   (Really needs to pay more attention to what the trulolo singer is actually saying..)      
    •   Because you have an affinity for such things??..    No, seriously, you need to take a good look at your browser's advanced settings.  Some browsers can be set so they will automatically wipe your cookies and search history every time you shut the browser down.  Not sure which browsers have this capability, but the one I use is Epic.    
    •   If we retrace what happened to get Obamacare passed in the first place, we need to remember the narrative that was used by the Democrats that there were 49 million Americans with no insurance.  Now they are saying 24 million Americans will lose their insurance if the law is struck down.  So I'm taking that to mean they actually got 24 million people to sign up in the exchanges under the law after 7 years.  So about as "successful" as the REAL ID Act...   Between the healthcare industry, big pharma, and the insurance industry, somewhere between $300 and $400 million was spent in lobbying to get the ACA passed.   The Koch brothers are pledging $300 to $400 million in the 2018 election cycle to strike the legislation down, and have also stated they will not support any politician in the future who votes for Ryan-Care.   It's how things work in the real world, like it, or not....
    •   Can anyone explain why I get ads here for dating sites with a picture of a big busted older woman   or Russian and oriental girls looking for marriage when I don't even go on those sites?
    •    In a  free market, ObamaCare would have collapsed two years ago. And all the promises made regarding it are and have been falling apart.   But government does not let boondoggles collapse. ObamaCare will be funded, unfortunately, with more debt and printing to keep it and all it's problems on life support   Think "too big to fail" and QE    
    •   Nunes Backs Down From Assertion Trump Was Monitored   Keep reading your fake news Uncle Bill. Also Nunes canned the next committee hearing on Russia. He is basically a Trump crony at this point, trying his best to obstruct the committees investigation.   There's Trump's transition team. Now go back and watch the Comey hearing. I think you will hear a certain 2 GOP representatives who are only worried about who is leaking intelligence rather than what the intelligence says (or literally the exact same thing Trump says).
    •   They could for example sell the information to your insurance company that would promptly adjust your rates if you showed a tendency toward unhealthy behaviors. It doesn't take much imagination.   There is actually a plan to fight this one. The goal is to crowd source some funding, then purchase the data for congressmen and publish them all to the public.     
    • Ah......the wet dream again.  To make varsity, you have to keep your material fresh and creative. While everyone else is playing Chess, you are still playing Boggle.
    • Maybe you could ask Rick for some HSO decals to go on the front of those bad boys eh?    All kidding aside, nice work.
    • see we have two halfwits playing freeze tag and they are both frozen wondering what to do next.      Bearsheet you could mess up a wet dream.  
  • Our Sponsors