• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low Gear ratio for crankbaits?

Chode2235

Buddy and I were talking crankbaits, and rods and reels for throwing them. He uses a slow 5.x or even a 4.x ratio baitcaster to throw his crankbaits. Less torque/fatigue, and it forces him to fish them slower.

I have never heard of this, but have since (via google) seen it mentioned a few times.

Who hear fishes a slow ratio for their crankbaits?

I stay with the middle-of-the-road 6.1 or 6.3 to 1 gear ratios. They work for me, I can fish them slow enough or fast enough. It's like Al Linder says - you want to fish slower, then reel slower.

For deep big lipped bass baits, I use a Curado 200B38 which is a 3.8:1 gear ratio. I like it because it is easy to pull a big bait through the water and my arms don't get wore out at all. Using narrower walleye type cranks and stick baits, I am usually using a 6.1:1. The low gear ratio is nice for deep stuff though.

I gotta go with what perchjerker and al lindner have said, you can use the faster gear ratios, just reel them slower if you have to. I use a 6.3:1 and it works great.

Hiya -

Count me in the low gear camp. I still use some of the old Lews Speed Spools (4.3:1) for a lot of cranking, plus Curado 3,8s like Polar, and this year a Revo Winch. I like it in part for the fatigue/torque factor (makes a big difference on how your wrist feels at the end of a long day) and partly because of the speed range I have available. I can really crawl a crank if I want to.

That all having been said, it's 100% personal preference. I know a lot of guys that crank with a 6.3:1

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I use a 5.8:1, but have used a 6.3:1 and it worked well. Most people who use the lower ratio's are throwing deep diving cranks for hours at a time, so the lower ratio causes much less fatigue.