Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bullheaded

Mud in water pump

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 merc 40 h.p. 2 stroke with maybe 15 hrs. on it. today i ran into some mud and noticed i didnt have as much of a discharge stream as before. Got home and read the book, they said to flush the motor with the earmuffs so i did. Seemed to help a little. I read something once like snaking a fine wire in the discharge tube. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks

B.H.

I know with my 50hp Merc I can back flush it. If there are threads by the tell tale outlet, you should be able to screw a garden hose on and run the water back to flush it.

I have cleaned mine out numerous times this way.

I don't know about the 2 stroke but with my 4 stroke, when it is hooked up to a hose with ear muffs, I only get a very small amount of water out of the tell tale which Merc told me is normal.

I've got a 93 60hp merc and had the same thing happen to me. I put the muffs on and fired up the motor. Then I took a length of 14 or 16 gage wire and ran it back into the water outlet and sure enough it cleared out the mud. I was able to snake the wire in about 12 to 16 inches. I keep that wire in my boat now in case I need it in the future.