Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bullheaded

Mud in water pump

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 merc 40 h.p. 2 stroke with maybe 15 hrs. on it. today i ran into some mud and noticed i didnt have as much of a discharge stream as before. Got home and read the book, they said to flush the motor with the earmuffs so i did. Seemed to help a little. I read something once like snaking a fine wire in the discharge tube. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks

B.H.

I know with my 50hp Merc I can back flush it. If there are threads by the tell tale outlet, you should be able to screw a garden hose on and run the water back to flush it.

I have cleaned mine out numerous times this way.

I don't know about the 2 stroke but with my 4 stroke, when it is hooked up to a hose with ear muffs, I only get a very small amount of water out of the tell tale which Merc told me is normal.

I've got a 93 60hp merc and had the same thing happen to me. I put the muffs on and fired up the motor. Then I took a length of 14 or 16 gage wire and ran it back into the water outlet and sure enough it cleared out the mud. I was able to snake the wire in about 12 to 16 inches. I keep that wire in my boat now in case I need it in the future.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• yes, took it this week, Monday, just off a bike path in SW Rochester that runs along the Zumbro river.     I was surprised to see it as well.    The bluebells and wood anemones and trout lilies were in full bloom, which is a couple weeks earlier than usual.      
    • Is that a recent photo Del? I was in the woods yesterday and found nothing north of Elk River. I did find this though. Bear?
    • Do people who have had a stroke find the lies better? It is hard to believe, but this idea raises scientific curiosity since the journal Nature published a curious study in the year 2000. According to the authors, those who have gone through this trance and have suffered a decline in the linguistic ability known as aphasia detect the 73 percent of attempts to lie to them. And they base their ability to interpret more acutely the gestures that draw the faces of their interlocutors Cellulite The rest of the people pick up the hoaxes about half the time.
      Please Suggest me I am waiting for your answers
    • Looks like Dryads Saddle aka Pheasant's Back to me.    http://minnesotaseasons.com/Fungi/Dryads_Saddle.html
    • Try the narrow channel on Enchanted Isle.  The shallow water holds carp and sunnies this time of year, giving you plentiful small action and the occasional larger fish to reel in.
    • Good luck Anyfish2. Saw quite a few out in the rain driving home today    
    • Well, i will try my hand at picking up another bird for the team starting tomorrow.  Weather looks to be challenging at best over the next 7 days.  I will give my best effort when i can get out.   Birds are still hanging around the area well,  hopefully i can get a tom to break from the Hens.  
    • and this?   
    • Sure seems like a nice little bait. Takes the topwater frog to a whole new level.
  • Our Sponsors