• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Other Fish Caught While Muskie Fishing

I was going through my pics from last year and ran across some of the other fish that we caught while Muskie fishing.

I thought it would be cool to see the other species everyones caught on their muskie lures.

Here's a couple of ours:

Carp I caught on Tonka with a Treat (Shawn didn't know it was a multi-species lure):

100_1891-1.jpg

Doley with a 30" Walleye on Leech with a MagDawg:

Mikes11lbsEye-1.jpg

Johnny with a 26" Walleye on Mille Lacs with a Phantom:

100_1953-1.jpg

I didn't get a pic but my best walleye to date came during a muskie tourney last year. 1pm 14' of water on a weed edge on a 9" Wades Wobbler in none other than walleye pattern. Also have a few nice bass, largies and smallies. and a few other walleyes on several different baits and of course the pesky pike.

Well I have pics of some other species fish caught while muskie fishing, but I'm still living in the olden days as I don't own a digital camera yet. It's on my list of things to buy though! I could hunt down a scanner, but I'm not motivated to go through that process either. Here are a few though:

-legitimate 46" pike on a Dawg (measured it 5 times because I didn't believe it either, decent girth too and released).(pic)

-20" fat fall smallmouth on a cowgirl (released/pic)

-21" largemouth on a super cowgirl (released/no pic)

You will have to drive to my house to see them, sorry. grin

22" largemouth on a small metro lake and a 26" largemouth on cave run last spring.

RK's reply reminded me of the swallow I hit with a lure mid cast and killed/hooked. And also at Cave Run, I had an immature bald eagle coming after my WTD topwater repeatedly, he/she followed our boat for 2 hours where ever we went!

Hiya -

Yeah, you get some odd stuff sometimes... Tops on my list:

I'm now up to 3 seagulls... One on a jerkbait (hit the water and the gull was on it...), and two on walk the dog topwaters.

A had a loon grab a bucktail up in Canada, and the fact that there were still two complete sets of eyes in the boat by the time my buddy and I got done unhooking the thing still amazes me today. That was one ANGRY bird... Had many, many loon follows (never fails to scare the bejeezus out of me) but that's the only one that ever bit...

A rusty crayfish on a 10" Believer on LoTWS. The thing was holding on to the middle hook with one of its claws. I suppose it thought the believer was a smallie coming in for the attack and fought back...

Many big walleyes. I've told my walleye fishing buddies that if they knew how many walleyes over 8 lbs. I've caught on jerkbaits and crankbaits, they'd cry.

I 20lb Bigmouth Buffalo I managed to snag in the tail. Thought I had the Queen for a minute or two...

Lots of big LMB and SMB. I wish smallies could teach muskies how to hit topwaters - those things never miss.

Funniest ever though wasn't me, but a friend of mine - Ryan Whitrock. Ryan, Charlie Moore and I were on the Mississippi by Brainerd and Ryan hooked up with what he thought at first was a fish. Turned out to be a GIGANTIC pair of women's underwear. I mean - parachute size. The picture is priceless...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Funniest ever though wasn't me, but a friend of mine - Ryan Whitrock. Ryan, Charlie Moore and I were on the Mississippi by Brainerd and Ryan hooked up with what he thought at first was a fish. Turned out to be a GIGANTIC pair of women's underwear. I mean - parachute size. The picture is priceless...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

That's funny! Reminds me of the time I had a buddy catch an apparently used condom (not in package) while fishing the Red. I've also landed a couple sandbags that were definite mounters too!!!

Great stories RK, might have been the best laugh I've had on hear about the female bottoms, the "GIGANTIC" cracked me up. Night fishing Cass last July hooked a 26" walleye on a bucktail, father in law thought muskie for sure, but it didn't have the muskie sound, the thrash you hear, I said no this is something else. parachute size lol

caught a few nice size largemouth on the Jr Double Cowgirl right as the lure hit the water, probably reaction bites. My buddy caught a nice 21 inch smallie on the Mississippi up in St Cloud using a Showgirl

I was throwing a Holcombe Stomper last fall and as soon as it hit the water my reel started screaming. I fought what I thought was probably a decent muskie until I got the fish to shore, it was a 20 some inche largemouth sitting just under the surface that got snagged in the back when my lure hit the water.

We get some dandy pike while fishin 'skies. Biggest was 47 inches on Vermilion about 12 years ago...

Big smallies like smackin' Eagletails and Depth Raiders. Biggest so far...22 inches.

I agree with RK on the big walleyes caught muskie fishing. They LOVE night shiner Shallow Raiders on V. I've also spanked some 28 and 29 inch 'eyes on 8 inch Jakes...even one on a Buchertail Mag. My buddy caught a 31 incher on a Top Raider. cool

Most are at night, but the 31 incher was in the middle of the day.

Funniest was a bluegill on a bucktail... laugh

Well, maybe not. Chico from Detroit managed to hook a duckling on a topwater last summer...by the foot... I told him to reel it in slowly while momma followed, quacking away...Sounded a bit like the commercial! I reached down, picked her up, and popped the hook...off she went back to momma, no harm done! crazygrincool

Paul.

24" largemouth on a purple rad dog, that was before the record was 8lb 15oz and we thought she was the state record and she might have been but we let her go, never weighed her but she was FAT.

15 lb Lake Trout on a Suick, she absolutely hammered it and I saw the whole thing, that was fun...

smallies but nothing big

a few 8-9lb walleyes on bulldawgs, one on a mag dawg

more big northerns than I can count, more small northerns than big northerns

clams

one [PoorWordUsage] off seagull

Caught a about a 27-28" walleye on the first turn of my 8 last season. Caught a lot of 3-5 lb. smallmouth on bucktails, saw a couple big smallmouth crush topraiders as well. I lost my biggest smallmouth on a yellow topraider. had to be at least 6 pounds.