Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
River-Runner

first timer

5 posts in this topic

looking to try my hand at building a walleye rod. Do you guys have any recommendations for a rod building kit that costs at most $80 dollars.

What style of fishing do you do? Jigging, rigging, pulling plugs?

Personally I would go with something like a St. Croix SC11 or SC111 for your first rod. SC11 is a pretty nice blank for a reasonable price and the SC111 is a step up. I like Hardaloy guides and the a fair guide for again reasonable price. You are never gonna wear them out using mono and I am not sure even braid is gonna where them out. They are actually pretty light too.

SC11 blank I would pick 2S70MF 1 piece, 7' med power, fast action.

SC111 Blank I would pick 3S70MF the same action as the SC11 just a higher quality blank.

Guides I would go with a 25mm, 16mm 10 mm and 4 6mm guides.

Handle is pretty personal, but a good graphite seat would fill it out pretty well. I also tend to try to keep the fore grip short as of late as I like to put my finger on the blank.

Shop around and you can probably get the SC111 and those components for close to the $80 mark.

yeah im kinda looking for a multi purpose rod. I plan on using it for jigging, rigging and slip bobbers. Thanks for the help!

Check out the St. Croix web. You can purchase everything you need from them. Check Cabela's also.

Check out Midwest Rod and Reel web site.