• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait Caster Getting The Best Of Me

gunflint

Question

I've got a 3 or 4 year old Cabelas Prodigy bait caster. The spool will not stop even with the drag cranked all the way down. When you set the hook on a large fish or a snag it just free spools. If I tie the line to a tree at a certain point the spool will just spin although slowly like it's in neutral. Any ideas?

11 answers to this question

I've got mono backing on Power-Pro. When I set the hook the even with the drag set all the way down, it literally free spools into a rats nest. I learned about line slippage with super lines years ago when I started using FireLine. This isn't it.

I am guessing some thing amiss with the drag washers. There should be a wavey(I can't think of a better way to describe it)washer that compresses to apply pressure on the spool, probably flat or stuck.

I agree the antireverse is gone....If it's a cabelas reel, try bringing it back for replacement. My brother in law had same problem and they exchanged no questions asked.

Good luck

With the baitcasters I have, if you loosen the drag enough the spool will spin. If you have a one way/anti reverse bearing controlling the spool, there will effectively have no drag as there will be no slippage.

Cabela's basic told me to take a hike. Brining it in is out of the question until they open the one in Cloquet. (If ever) besides the new Prodigy doesn't have a flipping switch. All I use it for is bottom bouncing. I have the manual that came with it so I think I'm going to rip into it and do an autopsy. Who knows maybe I can figure out what went south and get a part for it.

Try cleaning it our well...the anti reverse may be sticky from thick grease or a bugger of something hanging it up? Clean it and lube it lightly with Hot Sauce ... then see if it snaps out of it.

The thumb bar may also be buggered up and not completely reengaging after the cast, again, try cleaning the old [PoorWordUsage] grease out and lube with Hot Sauce or Reel Butter lube.